Chinese Democracy Alternate Artwork Discussion

John Bonham

the german dude went to a "Media Markt" store in Germany just to look for some discs and/or DVDs. when randomly searching through "G" and "Guns N' Roses" there, he found 2 sealed copies of "Chinese Democracy" CD with an alternate cover. he asked some dude working there about it and he meant smth. general that it wouldnt be anything special with (mostly bigger) bands releasing CDs with alternate covers, he said Michael Jackson's "Invincible" did have 4 different covers (obviously that person didnt know s*it about GN'R ). the fan then asked him to look out if there'd be more copies in the back of the store (this is a BIG technique store here in Germany by the way) but there weren't.

the german fan bought both copies, opened one, scanned and posted some of the booklet/info. codenummer/EAN of the disc is "6 0251790609 9"

Mr. Limulus is driving to one "Media Markt" store in north Germany RIGHT NOW!

dont have high hopes but i'll keep you updated little later.

i did a little research: typed in the bar code no. into google (without the spaces) and....

http://www.google.de/#hl=de&cp=11&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=602517906099&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=602517906099&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=399e833921fa4819&biw=1272&bih=572&bs=1

seems like this guy is telling the truth. damn, i f***in' want that disc !!!!!

Looks beatiful:

bw5i0jdozjbzq7ivw.jpg

chinesedemocracy.png

iftheworld.jpg

Cover B was released on 2009, maybe Cover C is from a later date, and Axl bought more art, who knows.

Why would someone fake ALL that?

Edited by Manets

• 2 months later...

As a handfull of you may know, Mister Saint Laurent, my good friend, the Most Important Man Alive, posts pictures of his mail every day. Usually it's a few CD's, some DVD's, and maybe some Vinyl. However, his latest aqquisition is a rather interesting one...

234168633_photobucket_71390_.jpg

http://mistersaintlaurent.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2803

I used that artwork on my iPod for about a year, only went back to the original recently. I'm considering swapping it for the red hand. I always thought this would've made for an interesting cover as well!

instrumentals.jpg

Where was this artwork from?

The original picture comes from one of the collections that Axl bought from or something, I just added it to the Chinese Democracy template, I've got quite a few of similar stuff I've made.

Axl was going to purchase the rights to use that themepark painting in the cd cover/booklet however the Chinese artist rejected his proposal due to his belief in regard to the Chinese governments sensitivity and the Chinese D subject matter.

Axl was going to purchase the rights to use that themepark painting in the cd cover/booklet however the Chinese artist rejected his proposal due to his belief in regard to the Chinese governments sensitivity and the Chinese D subject matter.

And now both the hand and the Chinese president are inflatables on stage when Guns play live... Does anyone have the name and email of the Chinese artist?? I'm thinking a deal was struck...

And now both the hand and the Chinese president are inflatables on stage when Guns play live... Does anyone have the name and email of the Chinese artist?? I'm thinking a deal was struck...

Not necessarily, I don't think there's any copyright on a red inflatable hand (that they've already got as an album cover anyway) and a red inflatable Mao.

Not necessarily, I don't think there's any copyright on a red inflatable hand (that they've already got as an album cover anyway) and a red inflatable Mao.

Good point about the copyright, however the red hand on stage resembles the fanmade cover much more than the semi-metal symbol red hand on the official alternate cover. I just think it's more then coincidence...

• 2 weeks later...
I used that artwork on my iPod for about a year, only went back to the original recently. I'm considering swapping it for the red hand. I always thought this would've made for an interesting cover as well!

instrumentals.jpg

The original picture comes from one of the collections that Axl bought from or something, I just added it to the Chinese Democracy template, I've got quite a few of similar stuff I've made.

Cheers - thanks Conor. Do you have any more of the artwork generally or in a larger/higher quality?

instrumentals.jpg

Cheers - thanks Conor. Do you have any more of the artwork generally or in a larger/higher quality?

All the ones I made are that size and quality, but I'll have a look around for the original pictures I used. There were some brilliant fake covers.

instrumentals.jpg

All the ones I made are that size and quality, but I'll have a look around for the original pictures I used. There were some brilliant fake covers.

Brilliant Conor - would love the originals!

• 3 months later...