Guns N' Roses Have Always Sucked!

Black Frog

It's impossible to replicate it live without numerous backing tracks, even for AFD stuff. Every single GNR track from all eras has Axl doing 4-5 vocals at once, at least 3 guitar tracks and sometimes more than that, and there are some songs on AFD/UYI where I'm pretty sure there's an extra bass in some parts. They could be as sober and as on top of their game as possible and they'd never be able to replicate it 1:1. It is what it is.

In the 80s, they had so much charisma and presence, that it didn't matter if they were sloppy. 

The band lost some of that as they went to the huge stadiums, but Axl in his prime was one of the greatest front men of all time in terms of physical performance. He was able to make a huge stage seem small (not a fat joke). 

The band is tighter now, but just like Chris Moltisanto's car speakers, has no balls. Add in Axl's awful vocals and complete lack of presence, and it's amazing people go to the shows. 

2 hours ago, RedHook said:

Even at Guns N' Roses most popular times they were sloppy live,

and tried and pass it off as being

"elegantly wasted."

In a live setting GN'R have never been able to duplicate how they sound in their recordings.

Either Slash is wasted (AFD/UYI)

Or Axl can't sing (NITL - 2021)

Guns N' Roses have always sucked.

Can you show me proof that I am wrong

I thought the band and Slashs guitar work on The Garden and the performances from Saskatoon was good standard.

I think in terms of live pre Geffen signing, especially Think About You that's floating on YT, they seemed to be better as they were hungry(no pun intended) when they were wanting to make a name for themselves.

And roasted steak tastes differently than beef taken right out of the freezer.

The point of live performance is that the entire group only has one chance to get it right.  Even if they do, there's no time to be happy about getting it right, they have to move on to the next note, the next chord, the next verse, the next song and keep going for the whole show.  In the studio, you can redo it over and over and try as many different ways as possible to make something work, even if the rest of the band is out doing something else.

I don't agree but there is a valid argument that music only really happens when everybody plays live.  It's certainly its own form, different from the recorded versions.  Music in the studio can be polished, sometimes too much.  Different people like it different ways.  C'est la vie.

11 hours ago, RedHook said:

Even at Guns N' Roses most popular times they were sloppy live,

and tried and pass it off as being

"elegantly wasted."

In a live setting GN'R have never been able to duplicate how they sound in their recordings.

Either Slash is wasted (AFD/UYI)

Or Axl can't sing (NITL - 2021)

Guns N' Roses have always sucked.

Can you show me proof that I am wrong

Some late 87 shows more or less and pretty much 1988

Other than that, maybe 1991 and some 1992

Rest is sloppy as hell

it'd been rarely talked that the classic band made tons of mistakes

Mostly because no one in their right mind expect a band like GNR to sound like on the record, especially not in their formative years

GNR lasted for about 5 or 6 years as songwriting goes. Rest is either nothing or trying too hard

I do not really like 91 that much. Slash for a lot of it is much sloppier than usual and I would say 91 has more bad vocal performances than 92. But I would still rather have attended or listen to a 91 show because of the sets. But GNR were great live most of the time from 86-90 and had good runs in the UYI tour. 06-10 are also good live if you can ignore 06 BBF and then Ashba.

I dunno... They were pretty epic live during the 86-93 run. The waiting around was the only drag (that and no Izzy) when I saw em in 92. They delivered live far more often than not in that period. Probably the most exciting of the big bands live round then. They could hit some glorious heights. There’s plenty of footage and bootlegs to back it up. 

3 hours ago, Sydney fan said:

Its a pity there's no footage of the 87 motley tour when they were support.

In 93 i lost interest in them, and in my final year in High School was mostly listening to Danzig 3- How The Gods Kill and Monster Magnet and Kyuss debut album.

Tried to like MM and Kyuss (remember Homme getting beaten up trying to return to the stage after stage diving when they supported Metallica here?) but never got into them.

Loved How The Gods Kill on the other (left) hand (black)!!!

5 hours ago, Doctor Dom said:

Tried to like MM and Kyuss (remember Homme getting beaten up trying to return to the stage after stage diving when they supported Metallica here?) but never got into them.

Loved How The Gods Kill on the other (left) hand (black)!!!

Haha, i did see metallica on the black tour but saw them at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Unfortunately i didnt see Danzig when they played at Selinas in 93. 93 seemed to be a good year for bands that toured. We had GNR in Jan, metallica in march Faith No More in April and Danzig later that year.

The whole stoner rock is one of those genres where you like it or you dont.