Jump to content

This GNR album would’ve killed in 2000…


sofine11
 Share

Recommended Posts

Also, I can’t stress how glad I am to personally hear the album in this format since it’s literally the only version of this ongoing project Axl committed himself to writing & recording vocals for, in earnest, to literally since the break of of old Guns. That alone makes the early 2000 “Sean Beaven mixes” the Chinese Democracy GOAT for me. ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Might as well add Hard School and Oh My God.

 

Axl's insistence on keeping the name and simultaneous inability to deal with the criticism related to that decision is the most puzzling aspect of it all. 

OMG maybe, but Hard School has Bucket, which was Roy Thomas Baker’s territory, not Beaven…so that Village recording done with Buckethead’s “Nu Ax” was produced by RTB, who signed on April of 2000.

 

But if a 1999 version of Hard School exists, I definitely want to hear that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

OMG maybe, but Hard School has Bucket, which was Roy Thomas Baker’s territory, not Beaven…so that Village recording done with Buckethead’s “Nu Ax” was produced by RTB, who signed on April of 2000.

 

But if a 1999 version of Hard School exists, I definitely want to hear that.

 

Got it. I saw IRS 2000 on there which I assumed was the version with the Bucket solo and no Finck vs the 1999 one with Finck and Tobias and the police siren (still my favorite version). Didn't realize RTB came aboard that early, was thinking he arrived in early 2001 around the same time as Zutaut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had this thought for a little bit now.

 

IRS has it all. I enjoy almost every single version they did. The vocals, the lyrics. It's fun. It's silly Axl anger fun. Gonna call the president.

 

Picture the screaming demon from rock am ring or any other 10/10 performances from 06 of IRS.

 IRS is top tier, you know its true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Man, fuck Bob Ezrin. ?

D982989C-809E-47D2-AA8A-A7D444613455.jpeg

CD - awful basic three power chord song with pathetic lyrics and 7 layers of synth farts. Awful
Atlas - simply a bad song that goes nowhere. Axl can't do grunge, he is a dad rocker.
The Blues - ok song, but Mickey vocals destroy it
Catcher - Again, ok song but mickey vox destroy any potential
Perhaps - Boy band cover, awful
Madagascar - three chords, dated hip hop beat, awfully pretentious, bh solo in rio 3 is great
Riad - lol you fired Slash to make generic shit like this? oh you added a long ambient intro and synth farts? still generic
IRS - basically same as above
TWAT - overrated crap, dated beats, dated synths, BH saves the song with a good solo
State - lol
Silk - lol
Prostitute - Describes post-GNR axl perfectly, sold his soul and followed every trend to try to look cooler than salsh, now he is sharing the stage with him milking the bands legacy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you HATED the songs in 2008 and subsequently HATED everything about 2019 The Village leaks, then chances are pretty solid you would have hated whatever would have come out in 2000. But if you largely dug a lot of those songs I’m sure a mastered album of these 12 tracks would have hit hard if released back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truth is nobody would have cared that much

about a GNR album in 2000.

 

I will admit that from the Village Demos I have heard.

2000 Intentions would be a superior album to 2008's Chinese Democracy.

 

But GNR was a bad joke still in 2000 to most people.

The 80s Rock Hangover was still going strong.

And no one would have given it a real chance.

 

Just look at the freezing cold reception GNR received,

When they realeased "OH MY GOD" in 1999.

 

Nobody Cared

 

Even 2 years later when they played MTV's VMA's,

It was nothing more than something to laugh at.

 

If Geffen thought there was money to be made,

they would have released the album.

 

 

They knew it was a lost cause,

and 20 years later,  it still is 

 

1154360997_NwzbsPRMkrszGIkeFU8kkB8RTg8.jpg.de0f513f8a03cfcce2a6644c59066df5.jpg

 

 

 

It's easy to think it would have done great,

because it's stronger than the 2008 release,

but the truth is

it would have failed miserably no matter how good it may have been.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RedHook said:

Truth is nobody would have cared that much

about a GNR album in 2000.

 

I will admit that from the Village Demos I have heard.

2000 Intentions would be a superior album to 2008's Chinese Democracy.

 

But GNR was a bad joke still in 2000 to most people.

The 80s Rock Hangover was still going strong.

And no one would have given it a real chance.

 

Just look at the freezing cold reception GNR received,

When they realeased "OH MY GOD" in 1999.

 

Nobody Cared

 

Even 2 years later when they played MTV's VMA's,

It was nothing more than something to laugh at.

 

If Geffen thought there was money to be made,

they would have released the album.

 

They knew it was a lost cause,

and 20 years later,  it still is 

 

1154360997_NwzbsPRMkrszGIkeFU8kkB8RTg8.jpg.de0f513f8a03cfcce2a6644c59066df5.jpg

 

Didn't Geffen offer him a $1 million bonus to hand the album over for release in 1999? They wanted to put the album out 

 

It's true nobody cared about Oh My God. But it also wasn't promoted and appeared on the soundtrack for a shit movie that was a huge flop. It also wasn't a radio friendly song, even in the nu metal era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

 

Didn't Geffen offer him a $1 million bonus to hand the album over for release in 1999? They wanted to put the album out 

 

It's true nobody cared about Oh My God. But it also wasn't promoted and appeared on the soundtrack for a shit movie that was a huge flop. It also wasn't a radio friendly song, even in the nu metal era.

 

 

1st New GNR release in 7 Years would have caused some kind of reaction,

If people cared.

 

Other than a few die hards, 

nobody wanted nothing to do with GNR at the turn of the century.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Might as well add Hard School and Oh My God.

 

Axl's insistence on keeping the name and simultaneous inability to deal with the criticism related to that decision is the most puzzling aspect of it all. 

Ive always thought it shoukd have been done as a solo project. May have gotten less red tpe from Geffen to make the whole album and release a smoother process.

Or kept GNR together focused on dad rock material and done these sort of songs as a side solo project, much like slash with his constipators material.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Beast Of Bray Rd said:

I've had this thought for a little bit now.

 

IRS has it all. I enjoy almost every single version they did. The vocals, the lyrics. It's fun. It's silly Axl anger fun. Gonna call the president.

 

Picture the screaming demon from rock am ring or any other 10/10 performances from 06 of IRS.

 IRS is top tier, you know its true.

Fuck yeah.

 

IRS (pre Thal etc) kicks ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...