Why didn't the UYIs sell better?

17 minutes ago, RedHook said:

On vinly they are also both double albums by themselves.

In total the UYI's are 4 albums.

It would have been real awkward to package 4 records in one set.

And what would the price be for that?

$35-40

True, but vinyl was pretty much dead at that point. Can't imagine it made up more than 1-2% of total sales so I doubt it had any real impact on their strategy 

4 hours ago, november snow said:

UYI sales by 2008

Use Your Illusion 1 (1991)
USA : 7.900.000
Canada : 1.100.000
Argentine : 330.000
Brésil : 850.000
Mexique : 400.000

Australie : 350.000
Nouvelle-Zélande : 75.000

Japon : 700.000

Europe : 4.540.000
- UK : 900.000
- France : 450.000
- Allemagne : 1.200.000
- Italie : 300.000
- Espagne : 200.000
- Suède : 200.000
- Pays-Bas : 200.000
- Suisse : 140.000
- Finlande : 70.000
- Autriche : 120.000
- Norvège : 100.000

Estimations Mondiales : 17.800.000

Use Your Illusion 2 (1991)
USA : 8.000.000
Canada : 1.000.000
Argentine : 390.000
Brésil : 775.000
Mexique : 350.000

Australie : 400.000
Nouvelle-Zélande : 75.000

Japon : 700.000
Corée du Sud : ?

Europe : 5.270.000
- UK : 950.000
- France : 600.000
- Allemagne : 1.450.000
- Italie : 350.000
- Espagne : 200.000
- Suède : 200.000
- Pays-Bas : 250.000
- Suisse : 170.000
- Finlande : 80.000
- Autriche : 140.000
- Norvège : 100.000

Estimations Mondiales : 18.600.000

Over 36 million copies sold by 2008,with about 16 million in America ,UYI reached 16 million copies sold in America BEFORE the Black album which was certifield 16 times platinum in 2012

True.

By now, the UYI's are over 40 Millions copies sold worldwide... but... "they didn't sell well"... LOL!!

Seriously? Come on...

I love AFD, but the UYI's were HUGE back in the days too. 

The fanbase Metallica had built by the black album release was almost completely independent of the mainstream. They released their first video 4 albums into their career. By the black album, they had to take it in a different direction for themselves I’m guessing. 

Living through things gives a different perspective. GnR weren’t wiped out by grunge or Nirvana. I saw both acts within months of each other and I’m sure a whole lotta other people did too.

It’s hard to explain how popular GnR were at the time the illusions albums came out. Guys I didn’t think liked music had those albums. Guys like the weird sporty neighbour dude. If chicks have an album, you know that band is big. And most chicks I knew liked GnR.  Things like the Freddie Mercury thing in April 92 only made them bigger worldwide. Appetite might be a creative peak, but their popularity peak lasted longer than they’re being credited with by some posters here. 

MTV as big as it was, was not in every home, media was slower, magazine interviews etc, the hype around GnR lasted till at least 95. By then britpop had come along, rap was starting to dominate, electro music like the prodigy, chemical brothers etc just took over for a while between 95-99. 

I wish now, that I knew then I was living through a glorious period in rock music. The amount of killer albums released in 1991 alone is insane. 

9 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

The Don’t Cry single and video instantly made GNR feel passé compared to everything else going on in music at the time. 

It is like when you watch re-runs of early 90's Full House, and Uncle Jesse is dressed like Matt Sorum. You just know it's out of date.

I like Slash's point about just not wanting their fans to have to pay so much for what was only their second album.

There's arguments to be made on every side.  As the biggest band in the world, they could do anything they wanted, Geffen wanted to make as much as it could, the fans can buy one album at a time since they'll almost certainly want both, the band can clean out its stack of completed songs and take a long break from writing and recording, there are valid artistic reasons to consider them two separate albums...

The main issue I see is that it's technically a double album regardless, essentially everybody who bought one bought the other.

I have to wonder how much of this was deliberate, Geffen uses G'n'R to burn down the hair metal bands who became stars in the 80s, then uses Nirvana to make G'n'R look silly.  After that, the attention goes to gangsta rap and "alternative rock" who are more about pushing buttons to make music than actual songs.  Which is what we still have today.

Appetite had very understandable songs.  Few of us will know 15-year old sluts like Michelle or drink Nightrain booze and those were the only two references on the album to anything in the real world.  Lies was a batch of generic hard-rock songs and a novel change to acoustic ballads.  And Axl gets to be "controversial."  He was already a psycho and now had fame and fortune pushing him onward.

One thing I've been noticing is that he's totally into gaslighting, denying reality to abusively impose his wishes onto everyone else.  Once you realize that, it's clear that's how he works.  It explains his lyrics, his relationships with Erin, Stephanie and Gina Siler, not to mention his relationships with co-owners of his band.  It explains why he's spent the last few decades surrounded by people who only talk about how wonderful he is, why nothing is ever his fault no matter how horrible the results are, and how depressing it is that Slash and Duff have returned to him.

I've listened to UYI a couple times in the last few weeks (for the first time in years) and seriously thought about the lyrics Axl wrote to his songs.  The double album's debut cites all this, "You Could Be Mine," the only question is how much Izzy contributed to the lyrics.

The first verse covers how cruel and hurtful Axl is and how he'll abandon "her."  Then he quotes Elton John (actually Bernie Taupin but who cares about giving credit to the lyricist?) because Axl is so sweet that way.  He could have been listening to a Pink Floyd album instead, "I'll be out the door before you wake, there's nothing to be done, because I think you're so comfortably numb" for all that would do.  Axl's the one telling her she's out of line because he says so.  Another trip to the hospital will be coming soon.

It's the master taking to the servant, putting her down for getting nothing done.  "Bitch-slap," smacking someone to humiliate them.

The reference to "holidays" makes no sense but it's another example of lyrics that work well even if we don't know what they're referring to, then he puts her down again.  "Don't ask me where I've been, just count your stars I'm home again."  She's nothing without him, he knows that.  She has to learn that he'll keep it that way.  He locked Erin up for long periods of time because... well we don't know why he did that but he did.

"You've gone sketching too many times," whatever that means, give it a rest.  Then he has to ask why she's always crying.  Then there's the rant of a psycho fucking lunatic.  We don't have a clue what any of that is about but it makes sense as specifically tearing down the bitch he's been abusing for five years, "forever."

Axl wrote that seven "forever"s ago and there's no impression that he's grown up yet.  Here were two full albums of this.  He took over the band, getting rid of the co-owners, and spent the next seventeen years working on the follow-up.  I think that burned a lot of people out, effectively promoting non-G'n'R music by the time the "Estranged" video came out.

The thing about "gas-lighting," it requires partners.  Normal people can find something else to do with their lives, the gas-lighter has nothing to focus on but the abuse of other people.  Fortunately most of them don't get surrounded by sycophants, but those who do never have a reason to change and don't want to.

2 hours ago, ChrisW said:

I like Slash's point about just not wanting their fans to have to pay so much for what was only their second album.

There's arguments to be made on every side.  As the biggest band in the world, they could do anything they wanted, Geffen wanted to make as much as it could, the fans can buy one album at a time since they'll almost certainly want both, the band can clean out its stack of completed songs and take a long break from writing and recording, there are valid artistic reasons to consider them two separate albums...

The main issue I see is that it's technically a double album regardless, essentially everybody who bought one bought the other.

I have to wonder how much of this was deliberate, Geffen uses G'n'R to burn down the hair metal bands who became stars in the 80s, then uses Nirvana to make G'n'R look silly.  After that, the attention goes to gangsta rap and "alternative rock" who are more about pushing buttons to make music than actual songs.  Which is what we still have today.

Appetite had very understandable songs.  Few of us will know 15-year old sluts like Michelle or drink Nightrain booze and those were the only two references on the album to anything in the real world.  Lies was a batch of generic hard-rock songs and a novel change to acoustic ballads.  And Axl gets to be "controversial."  He was already a psycho and now had fame and fortune pushing him onward.

One thing I've been noticing is that he's totally into gaslighting, denying reality to abusively impose his wishes onto everyone else.  Once you realize that, it's clear that's how he works.  It explains his lyrics, his relationships with Erin, Stephanie and Gina Siler, not to mention his relationships with co-owners of his band.  It explains why he's spent the last few decades surrounded by people who only talk about how wonderful he is, why nothing is ever his fault no matter how horrible the results are, and how depressing it is that Slash and Duff have returned to him.

I've listened to UYI a couple times in the last few weeks (for the first time in years) and seriously thought about the lyrics Axl wrote to his songs.  The double album's debut cites all this, "You Could Be Mine," the only question is how much Izzy contributed to the lyrics.

The first verse covers how cruel and hurtful Axl is and how he'll abandon "her."  Then he quotes Elton John (actually Bernie Taupin but who cares about giving credit to the lyricist?) because Axl is so sweet that way.  He could have been listening to a Pink Floyd album instead, "I'll be out the door before you wake, there's nothing to be done, because I think you're so comfortably numb" for all that would do.  Axl's the one telling her she's out of line because he says so.  Another trip to the hospital will be coming soon.

It's the master taking to the servant, putting her down for getting nothing done.  "Bitch-slap," smacking someone to humiliate them.

The reference to "holidays" makes no sense but it's another example of lyrics that work well even if we don't know what they're referring to, then he puts her down again.  "Don't ask me where I've been, just count your stars I'm home again."  She's nothing without him, he knows that.  She has to learn that he'll keep it that way.  He locked Erin up for long periods of time because... well we don't know why he did that but he did.

"You've gone sketching too many times," whatever that means, give it a rest.  Then he has to ask why she's always crying.  Then there's the rant of a psycho fucking lunatic.  We don't have a clue what any of that is about but it makes sense as specifically tearing down the bitch he's been abusing for five years, "forever."

Axl wrote that seven "forever"s ago and there's no impression that he's grown up yet.  Here were two full albums of this.  He took over the band, getting rid of the co-owners, and spent the next seventeen years working on the follow-up.  I think that burned a lot of people out, effectively promoting non-G'n'R music by the time the "Estranged" video came out.

The thing about "gas-lighting," it requires partners.  Normal people can find something else to do with their lives, the gas-lighter has nothing to focus on but the abuse of other people.  Fortunately most of them don't get surrounded by sycophants, but those who do never have a reason to change and don't want to.

Cool Story, Bro - quickmeme

13 hours ago, gunsntortillas said:

It is like when you watch re-runs of early 90's Full House, and Uncle Jesse is dressed like Matt Sorum. You just know it's out of date.

Hahaha.... GNR's prime was before my time, however Full House was not.  :( Teddy Zigzag was in Uncle Jesse's band and I remember the guitarist name was Snake or something like that.  

Aunt Becky.... ?

On 10/21/2021 at 3:19 PM, Duffibrillator said:

Load was released in 1996 and sold $5 million plus.  It is Metallica's 3rd highest selling album.  I think a GNR album of original material in 1995 would have done similar. 

The snake pit album with Axl lyrics and vocals would have sold pretty well IMO

Beggars and hanerons would have been a great GNR tune with Axl vocals and lyrics