Why didn't the UYIs sell better?

Considering:

AFD was the biggest debut album of all time, and was on a popularity level not too far from the likes of MJ;

YCBM as a tie-in single with the highest grossing film of the year (with a video with cameos from Arnold)

A sold out, if controversial tour

The massive hype awaiting the albums

Why did the UYIs sell much, much less by comparison? They did 7 million a piece in the US, but considering all the above, why weren't they even bigger selling?

Consider Metallica's self titled which was out a month earlier has been certified 16x Platinum in the US.

Also the T2 video with Arnold at the end was shit.

Izzy knew it was shit.

he purposely didn't show up to film his scene.

Terminator scans everyone but Izzy :lol: 

GnR had this anti authority stance.

Yet, here they are releasing product with even more corporate logos stamped all over it.

They didn't need to do thst.

The whole world was waiting for the album, and YCBM was a let down from the get go.

1 hour ago, Johnny Ramone said:

I bought II & my buddy bought I. I made a copy for him first time I listened to it, he did the same. That fucked up sales a lot I would imagine. It was rife in the school I went to. Everybody’s collection had 1 original cassette and 1 copy ?

Grunge came and pulled a lot of the rock market away from GnR 

Appetite was ground zero for rock n roll the same as Nevermind was or Nevermind the bollocks was. The illusions albums weren’t likely to replicate that level of success.

But then again, if it had been a single album, it would have sold as much as appetite, likely more given the tour.

I don’t know, I’ve talked myself back to who fucking knows why.... 

Same happened to my uncle and dad, dad bought UYI 2 and my uncle bought UYI 1 and cranked them both for like a week straight lol.

3 hours ago, Wilco said:

Considering:

AFD was the biggest debut album of all time, and was on a popularity level not too far from the likes of MJ;

YCBM as a tie-in single with the highest grossing film of the year (with a video with cameos from Arnold)

A sold out, if controversial tour

The massive hype awaiting the albums

Why did the UYIs sell much, much less by comparison? They did 7 million a piece in the US, but considering all the above, why weren't they even bigger selling?

Consider Metallica's self titled which was out a month earlier has been certified 16x Platinum in the US.

Because Grunge/alt.rock and to some extent hip-hop

Metallica became a pop band with the Black album (even though the audience were still mostly rock/metal fans at shows)

3 hours ago, RedHook said:

Also the T2 video with Arnold at the end was shit.

Izzy knew it was shit.

he purposely didn't show up to film his scene.

Terminator scans everyone but Izzy :lol: 

GnR had this anti authority stance.

Yet, here they are releasing product with even more corporate logos stamped all over it.

They didn't need to do thst.

The whole world was waiting for the album, and YCBM was a let down from the get go.

Personally, i think it was their coolest video from the UYI years...

Couldn't care less about NR. I haven't heard or seen studio NR in 15 years (except the AFD demos). Thought it was cheesy since it came out

It's basically the video which made me a fan in the first place (to check out their albums in full)

the "where is izzy" half-way originated from there...

Btw not showing up on your own songs biggest promotion means you have shit for brains. Izzy was stupid as fuck, it's nothing to with "integrity" or street cred. Video contained more street cred with the rest of the band (sans Axl with his gay jacket)  than Izzy had in his later years

3 hours ago, RedHook said:

Nobody respected them anymore

For a band who weren't respected, UYIs, sure as shit, sold lot. More than Nevermind.

The rest sounds like a rant of a mullet head who thinks it's still 1987 on the calendar. Sorry.

3 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Black album was and is better

No, it's not. There are like 4, 5 good songs on it. The rest is trash.

39 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

For a band who weren't respected, UYIs, sure as shit, sold lot. More than Nevermind.

The rest sounds like a rant of a mullet head who thinks it's still 1987 on the calendar. Sorry.

No, it's not. There are like 4, 5 good songs on it. The rest is trash.

How old were you then?

I lived it 

It sold because they had hit radio ballads with big million dollar mtv videos,  and toured the world for 2 years straight.

Doesn't mean people respected then.

They had the Geffen money machine behind them.

People bought in because they liked what they used to be,

and they were emotionally invested after waiting 2 years for the UYI's.

By 1993 nobody wanted nothin to do with them.

They dissapointed the fan base

They wanted Axl, not Elton John

Yes.  By 1993, it was only the white trash still going to their shows.  The "cool" kids had moved on.

But in 1991, they were still the shit.  Their shows sold out, people talked about them, and people lined up at midnight to buy the albums.

The albums were a massive success.  Even Axl told people in interviews...."Buy one and have your friend buy the other and tape them."  He claimed to have grown up as a poor ass kid that had to shop at wal mart so he didn't want to FORCE kids to buy a double album.  They still sold remarkably well.

Why isn't 14 million units sold good enough for you?

17 minutes ago, RedHook said:

How old were you then?

I lived it 

It sold because they had hit radio ballads and big mtv videos, and toured the world for 2 years straight.

Doesn't mean people respected then.

They had the Geffen money machine behind them.

People bought in because they like what they used to be,

and they were emotionally invested after waiting 2 years for the UYI's.

By 1993 nobody wanted nothin to do with them.

They dissapointed the fan base

They wanted Axl, not Elton John

So, basically, your entire stance is they should have regurgitated Appetite over and over again ?

Taking risks and diversity of material was what made them stand out amongst their peers.

They might have had lost certain amount of fans but they certainly gained lot more.

So, I say, in the end, risk paid off.

10 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

So, basically, your entire stance is they should have regurgitated Appetite over and over again ?

Taking risks and diversity of material was what made them stand out amongst their peers.

They might have lost certain amount of fans but they certainly gained lot more.

So, I say, in the end, risk payed off.

Nobody respects a rock band that releases ballad after ballad as singles.

The industry norm was to have one ballad on an album, and it was usually the 3rd and last single.

The ballads were thought of as the pussy songs.

Just released for the girls.

One was tolerated, but generally not liked.

The UYI's released 4 ballads in a row as singles in the US.

5 in a row in other countries.

It got so bad in the end

even radio wouldn't play 

"Estranged' cuz they were sick of it too.

MTV barely played the video

They sold out,

and it worked financially.

But people hated them for it.

3 minutes ago, RedHook said:

Nobody respects a rock band that releases ballad after ballad as singles.

The industry norm was to have one ballad on an album, and it was usually the 3rd and last single.

The ballads were thought of as the pussy songs.

Just released for the girls.

One was tolerated, but generally not liked.

The UYI's released 4 ballads in a row as singles in the US.

5 in a row in other countries.

It got so bad in the end

even radio wouldn't play 

"Estranged' cuz they were sick of it too.

MTV barely played the video

They sold out,

and it worked financially.

But people hated them for it.

Sorry for few typing mistakes.

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

They might have had lost certain amount of fans but they certainly gained lot more.

taking a risk doesn't mean the material will be better. it just means, you are doing something different than what you did previously. this is risky, but not necessarily makes for a better product

suppose UYI & II was released as their debut album. And appetite as their follow up. in this scenario, your follow up album is also very different than your debut album, but it is clear that appetite is still the better album. Not because it is risky, or different, but only because of its own merits and quality.

any way you shape and turn it, the UYI's were an inferior product. all the risks in the world they took with these, could not prevent that

1 hour ago, boobytrap said:

taking a risk doesn't mean the material will be better. it just means, you are doing something different than what you did previously. this is risky, but not necessarily makes for a better product

suppose UYI & II was released as their debut album. And appetite as their follow up. in this scenario, your follow up album is also very different than your debut album, but it is clear that appetite is still the better album. Not because it is risky, or different, but only because of its own merits and quality.

any way you shape and turn it, the UYI's were an inferior product. all the risks in the world they took with these, could not prevent that

Again, not playing safe is exactly what made them stand out. Besides, it's not like there was no enough quality material on UYIs to back their (rather Axl's) ambitions, there was.

Even relatively weaker songs are better than many bands' entire discographies (well, except So Fine, Duff is a one untalented tranny).

It's just certain things could have been handled better. I'll take bands and artists who experiment and evolve over those who recycle the same thing ad nauseam.

It's boring, uncreative, derivative and a sign of lack of serious talent.

Since Sorum said in his book that Axl came up with the double album idea and it worked out, i don't think UYI's should have been produced better numbers

It was a move to NOT record an album in the foreseable future and just keep on the touring bandwagon

Besides UYI's as two albums topped the charts simultaneously... which has never happened before that point

What more do you want?

3 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Well, Axl said something similar (playing just AFD songs is like "jerking off") and look where he is now...

Taking risks and playing diverse material doesn't automatically mean quality

They had so many songs to work with because most of the material came from pre-AFD lol.

What are you saying about "taking risks"? lol

Most of the UYI stuff was a continuation, a natural evolvement of already existing songs

Rest of the cheese came from Axl amongst the great vocals, ofc

There were filler songs of course, but it's a 30 SONG double album, there will be duds

What made them stand out amongst their peers was their talent as a collective unit in the 80's, especially at that timeframe

I'd say GNR haven't lost fans until the mid 90's, i mean very few people if any turned their back to Guns because they haven't made another AFD

But a LOT of people get tired of the self-indulgent bullshit (which you call diverse, right?) which was mostly Axl's fault, so...

Big budget vids, dolphins, weddings, all the cheese you could think of... it made them a laughing stock, but strangely attracted pop rock NPC's

Younger people were DONE with GNR by 1993.

The real dealbreaker was the decade long silence and the release of Axl's solo record... lot of people thought it was a bad joke and never looked back until the fatunion or not looked back ever since