Elvis late 70s era vs GN'R since 2014

STFU Miser

elvis's music fits every mood, every time

it's basically background music to a beautiful day

Axl's work of the past 20 years is grating to the ears. Riad, scraped.... it's unpleasant, it's stressfull. it's torture. chinese torture. perhaps that was his artistic goal?

I'll never find myself skipping an Elvis song, but I've had plenty of occasions I just had to shut off Axl's frankenstein rock.

How many songs did Elvis actually write?

Axl atleast released 4.5 albums of original material written by him.... even some of the stuff he wrote on piano. 

To me the coolest Elvis was the Comeback Special Elvis.  He was 33 at the time and dead 9 years later.  Shit... when Axl was 33 Slash was still in GNR.  Axl is a legend, but if he would have died at 42 he would have been looked at differently. 

3 hours ago, Duffibrillator said:

How many songs did Elvis actually write?

Axl atleast released 4.5 albums of original material written by him.... even some of the stuff he wrote on piano. 

To me the coolest Elvis was the Comeback Special Elvis.  He was 33 at the time and dead 9 years later.  Shit... when Axl was 33 Slash was still in GNR.  Axl is a legend, but if he would have died at 42 he would have been looked at differently. 

the writing argument, is just a different way to look at things

different aspects of a song need to be written:

melody

lyrics

tempo

the same song can be performed by two performers, very different

if writing is your main interest, then Axl obviously wins. other than "do you wish you had hair" I don't think Elvis ever came up with a single line

stephen king wrote hundreds of thousands of pages, and he's a shit guitar player / singer

being creative in the writing process is a whole different beast than being creative in the performance process.

Arguably, Elvis invented / created a whole new different style of music (see, acting the fool during the sun sessions). In this sense, he is one of the most important creative forces in music, of the 20th century

14 hours ago, boobytrap said:

the writing argument, is just a different way to look at things

different aspects of a song need to be written:

melody

lyrics

tempo

the same song can be performed by two performers, very different

if writing is your main interest, then Axl obviously wins. other than "do you wish you had hair" I don't think Elvis ever came up with a single line

stephen king wrote hundreds of thousands of pages, and he's a shit guitar player / singer

being creative in the writing process is a whole different beast than being creative in the performance process.

Arguably, Elvis invented / created a whole new different style of music (see, acting the fool during the sun sessions). In this sense, he is one of the most important creative forces in music, of the 20th century

Let's not flatter him

His breakthrough hit was a copy cat song, completely strip out the original meaning of the blues song making it an ideal cheefest for 50's teenyboppers

1 hour ago, Budd Dwyer said:

completely strip out the original meaning of the blues song making it an ideal cheefest for 50's teenyboppers

well, that was kind of the point of creating something different wasn't it?

if you're going to do something different, as a consequence you get a different meaning to an existing piece of work

that body of work has stood the test of time. a cheesefest for 50s teenagers, and enjoyment for 40-something myself in 2021

1 hour ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Let's not flatter him

His breakthrough hit was a copy cat song, completely strip out the original meaning of the blues song making it an ideal cheefest for 50's teenyboppers

Are all covers "copy cat songs"? Elvis never stole anything, every cover he did was fairly credited. He put fresh and dynamic twists on some songs that were already interesting, and many of the tunes written for him were first rate. GNR, on the other hand, we know to have various licks nicked from Sabbath and Judas Priest and chord sequences allegedly lifted from Australian Crawl and Alice Cooper.

7 hours ago, Billy Ripper said:

Are all covers "copy cat songs"? Elvis never stole anything, every cover he did was fairly credited. He put fresh and dynamic twists on some songs that were already interesting, and many of the tunes written for him were first rate. GNR, on the other hand, we know to have various licks nicked from Sabbath and Judas Priest and chord sequences allegedly lifted from Australian Crawl and Alice Cooper.

no, but if your breakthorugh hit is a fucking cover, then you aren't king of anything, besides maybe covers, but that wasn't even the case with him

It would have been different if he had an unique voice or something, but that's also not the case

He is certainly better at giving credits (than LZ for example lol)

At that time and age tunes were mostly written by ghost writers anyway

GNR is/was leagues behind any of the aforementioned artists so...