One in a million

GUNNER

What does it mean?

I guess everybody has noticed that english is not my mother language.

I always looked at this expression (OIAM) as something that has a double meaning... But I never had the chance to confirm If I was right or not.

So Im asking you gringos to enlight me.

I see something/someone as "one in a million", If It's something/someone special, like something/someone that has some unique characteristic among a million similar things/persons.

In the other hand, in an opposite point of view, I also see it as something/someone vulgar (not special at all), like just another brick in the wall, just another one among a million similars.

Besides, even on the song, I find it ironic, when he says that "you are one in a million ... You are a shooting star" looks likes he is being ironic and giving it a double meaning.

Is this chimp thinking right gringgish?

I remember seeing an old interview with Axl trying to explain the meaning of the song.  It's not racist of course.  He was trying to say that like one in a million of a particular group could spark a stereotype.  Like when a cop kneels on someone's neck and kills them then the next thing you know all cops are looked at as murdering racist scumbags.  

1 minute ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Let me put it in a a skinny, gorgeous Japanese broad with an ass like Auad likes, and a perfect flawless face with long silky hair, and a enormous soft natural tits.way I can understand it......a ....THAT'S one in a million!!!

But.... a "a skinny, gorgeous Japanese broad with an ass like Auad likes, and a perfect flawless face with long silky hair, and a enormous soft natural tits" among a million of "skinny, gorgeous Japanese broads with an ass like Auad likes, and a perfect flawless face with long silky hair, and a enormous soft natural tits" would be one on a million, and a "skinny, gorgeous Japanese broad with an ass like Auad likes, and a perfect flawless face with long silky hair, and a enormous soft natural tits", among a million of fat american ladies, would also be one in a million ... Right?

3 minutes ago, Trumpy Bear said:

I've always taken it to mean you're unique or that there's not many people out there like you.

But when he says.... You are a shooting star, sounds like he's being ironic and means exactly the opposite of that, right?

I think that the expression has a double meaning on purpose.

It says that you are special because there's only one "you" ... But, don't take it that without some humilty because, in the other and, everyone is special.... And you are just another one.

43 minutes ago, GUNNER said:

TKS ... but Im not asking the meaning of the song, but the meaning of the expression.

Does it have that double meaning or not?

Well you stick a line into a song or poem precisely so it has double meaning or ambiguity. It’s what pulls a listener or reader in. Each individual  can interpret it as they like. It’s what makes good Poets or Lyric writers.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Ramone said:

Well you stick a line into a song or poem precisely so it has double meaning or ambiguity. It’s what pulls a listener or reader in. Each individual  can interpret it as they like. It’s what makes good Poets or Lyric writers.

Ok... But, I was thinking that I could be missing something, because my english is bad

So, If what I said makes sense and can be a possible interpretation, thats enough for me.

1 hour ago, GUNNER said:

TKS ... but Im not asking the meaning of the song, but the meaning of the expression.

Does it have that double meaning or not?

It used to have a positive meaning. 

Used like this 

"She is one in a million" 

But it's been used negatively also in sarcasm, etc

32 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:
Budd Dwyers and niggers, that's right
Get outta my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Gold chains today
Now don't need no bracelets
Chimped in front of my back
Just need my ticket, 'til then
Won't you cut me some smack

-Borki's new anthem

Fixed it. Better this way.

The truth is....

I have been thinking about doing a "One in a million" tattoo in my side ribs.

I don't have any tattoo and I didnt want to make anything stupid or anything that I could be missing the meaning. So, looks like it can have the double meaning that I though it could have.

But Im still not sure about doing it.

21 minutes ago, GUNNER said:

The truth is....

I have been thinking about doing a "One in a million" tattoo in my side ribs.

I don't have any tattoo and I didnt want to make anything stupid or anything that I could be missing the meaning. So, looks like it can have the double meaning that I though it could have.

But Im still not sure about doing it.

Script tattoos are shit man, don't do it.