Dumbest decisions by GnR

Mikey Whipwreck

9 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

When you look at the reasons they broke up, it is just incredibly dumb. The amount of music we missed out on and the amount of money they lost over Huge and refusal to work on each other's stuff is just incomprehensible. Double album with Axl singing on Snakepit on one disc, Slash playing on Axl's industrial rock and piano ballads on the other. Duff and Additional Musician Matt would have gone along with anything. But they couldn't reach that compromise. Incredible. 

I don't think a GNR album in that time frame would have done well. Guns was ultra corny by 1993 in the media, and by 1995-1996, the music scene was so far removed from Guns N' Roses that I really don't think anything they would have had any kind of success like AFD/UYI no matter how good the music was because that type of music was absolutely dead and they were caricatures of themselves by the end anyway. 

I do think if they had gotten back together in 2000-2002 with a mix of Snakepit/VR/CD session stuff, it would have been big as any rock band during the period, though. I think The Rough Mix 1 CD finished and polished up would have had like 5 straight up radio hits in 2001-2003, though. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Thunder said:

I don't think a GNR album in that time frame would have done well. Guns was ultra corny by 1993 in the media, and by 1995-1996, the music scene was so far removed from Guns N' Roses that I really don't think anything they would have had any kind of success like AFD/UYI no matter how good the music was because that type of music was absolutely dead and they were caricatures of themselves by the end anyway. 

This is conjecture. They would have been more than fine if they had released albums in the mid to late 90s. If Metallica and U2 survived, they would have too.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

This is conjecture. They would have been more than fine if they had released albums in the mid to late 90s. If Metallica and U2 survived, they would have too.

GNR wasnt dead, but their members were. Duff went to rehab. Slash should have went to rehab. Axl had psycho and health problems. There was still a place for GNR, but Metallica took the torch of being the Nr 1 Rock Band. Smartest choice between 1994-1998 would have been a MTV Unplugged or S&M album with 2 or 4 new songs. 

After illusions, they should have done a 'return to club days tour' and toured TSI by just doing clubs or theatres across NA.

Then their solo albums( including Axl) and came back by 97/98 same as the CD timeline.

Ive never seen the appeal of MTV appearances. KISS may have used their appearance as a stepping stone to their reunion but what did it do for Nirvanas career?.

3 hours ago, Sydney fan said:

After illusions, they should have done a 'return to club days tour' and toured TSI by just doing clubs or theatres across NA.

Then their solo albums( including Axl) and came back by 97/98 same as the CD timeline.

Ive never seen the appeal of MTV appearances. KISS may have used their appearance as a stepping stone to their reunion but what did it do for Nirvanas career?.

Well, Nirvana Unplugged is considered their finest work by many fans and was an instant classic the minute it aired.  I think GNR needed a few years off, but an Unplugged appearance would have been really good for them in the late 90s.

Absolutely agree they should have done smaller venues.  They should have done smaller venues in the CD days. 

NOTHING MAKES PEOPLE WANT SOMETHING MORE THAN BEING TOLD THEY CAN'T HAVE IT.

If the CD tour of 2002 was booked at 2000 seater clubs instead of big giant empty arenas, they'd have sold out in minutes and been the hottest ticket of the year and everyone would be shitting their pants to see Nu GNR.  The House of Blues 2001 show but on tour.  Get people excited and talking about the band, and THEN do bigger venues.

Goddamn Axl is stupid.  If I had been in charge of this band 20 years ago he'd be a billionaire right now, not just a multi-millionaire.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:56 PM, MacDaddyRose said:

From a selfish fan standpoint; everything they did post Illusions was an unmitigated disaster and an embarrassment. 

From a business standpoint, anything they did post illusions til 2016. Hard to argue with the success of the shit in this lifetime tour financially, but seems like everything before that was just a waste of time and an insult to fans intelligence  

Why stop at 2016? Sure NITL made them lots of money, but GNR post-2016 are still a waste of time and an insult to fans intelligence.

42 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Why stop at 2016? Sure NITL made them lots of money, but GNR post-2016 are still a waste of time and an insult to fans intelligence.

True. The only post-UYI Tour period that wasn't a waste of time and insulting to the fans intelligence was 2006-2010. During that stretch they released new music, toured to promote it, and put on high quality shows where Axl clearly gave a shit about his performances. 

The 2011 tour they were forced to do as part of the Azoff settlement (perhaps combined with the supposed rejection of CDII by the label) is where he started to check out. Although I saw them in 2011 and it was actually a real good show despite that tour's poor rep, I'd completely checked out on GnR within a year after that because it became clear there was no plan for new music. Went to the reunion in 2016 which was pretty epic and surreal at the time, but that was kind of it for me unless they actually released new stuff. It was obvious at the time (even moreso now) that the reunion was not done for any reason other than to cash in. With very few exceptions, it was just a continuation of the Chinese Democracy tours with Slash and Duff replacing their replacements.

After the Absurd and Hard Skool drops I've been catching up again and it's still the same old same old. The begrudging release of two old reworked tracks that were leaked years ago notwithstanding.

2 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

True. The only post-UYI Tour period that wasn't a waste of time and insulting to the fans intelligence was 2006-2010. During that stretch they released new music, toured to promote it, and put on high quality shows where Axl clearly gave a shit about his performances. 

The 2011 tour they were forced to do as part of the Azoff settlement (perhaps combined with the supposed rejection of CDII by the label) is where he started to check out. Although I saw them in 2011 and it was actually a real good show despite that tour's poor rep, I'd completely checked out on GnR within a year after that because it became clear there was no plan for new music. Went to the reunion in 2016 which was pretty epic and surreal at the time, but that was kind of it for me unless they actually released new stuff. It was obvious at the time (even moreso now) that the reunion was not done for any reason other than to cash in. With very few exceptions, it was just a continuation of the Chinese Democracy tours with Slash and Duff replacing their replacements.

After the Absurd and Hard Skool drops I've been catching up again and it's still the same old same old. The begrudging release of two old reworked tracks that were leaked years ago notwithstanding.

I really have no idea why they cant release a brand new written song. 

Even one used from the 96 sessions, not a reworked CD song.

Is it still a fractured relationship between axl and slash when it comes to new written music......

5 hours ago, Tremolo said:

Oh I agree. The band had been a joke for going on 30 years. Unfortunately; being in business, I can't call a tour that has generated over half a billion dollars in revenue and counting a "bad decision." 

If you told me to stand up there and squeak out 30 songs a night for that kind of money, I'm doing it with a smile on my face.