Dumbest decisions by GnR

Mikey Whipwreck

19 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

4. Then, 6 years later, releasing a live album which advertised club shows with the Appetite lineup, yet, the actual live tracks were recorded in the 1990s, during the Use Your Illusion Stadium tour, and include studio overdubs from Axl's 1999 Sean Beaven sessions

I don’t mind the re-recorded cleaner vocals on the live album but I will never understand why they did that… for a LIVE album 🤦‍♂️

I think everyone has nailed the obvious and main ones.

-  Not trying to compensate izzy to do a few appearances here and there during the NA NITL tour. Its not like the band couldn't afford it.

- not capitalising on doing up and releasing their old concert footage (87 to 93).

- Axl agreeing to a reunion way to late.

- hands down having Beta and her leaching family manage all business of the band. Whilst also enabling  other halfwits (jarmo, MSL) to be part of the bands "inner circle" and act as youtube rangers.

All these screwups are purely down to the mickey one. 

From a selfish fan standpoint; everything they did post Illusions was an unmitigated disaster and an embarrassment. 

From a business standpoint, anything they did post illusions til 2016. Hard to argue with the success of the shit in this lifetime tour financially, but seems like everything before that was just a waste of time and an insult to fans intelligence  

3 minutes ago, MacDaddyRose said:

From a selfish fan standpoint; everything they did post Illusions was an unmitigated disaster and an embarrassment. 

From a business standpoint, anything they did post illusions til 2016. Hard to argue with the success of the shit in this lifetime tour financially, but seems like everything before that was just a waste of time and an insult to fans intelligence  

Especially the ashba years, and the other shit musicians bumblefoot etc.

Its criminal of what could have been if Bucket was in the band, and the fatman didnt use the GNR name and the whole thing done as a solo project.

He could have done 3 albums, and eventually a reunion with newly written material.

Here’s the deal. Looking back, I’m actually glad that this is how things are in GNR. It’s entertaining. They have 4 real albums, there’s nothing to talk about, the music is old and boring. When’s the last time you genuinely listened to a GnR song for fun? 

it’s the fact that this band is managed by a nanny, it’s the fact that they troll the shit out of their fans, it’s the fact that they sound like shit live, it’s the fact that they’re all fat. That’s why I love them. It’s fun to watch. Dare say my favorite band, all because everything they do makes me laugh 

2 minutes ago, mickey mouse said:

Here’s the deal. Looking back, I’m actually glad that this is how things are in GNR. It’s entertaining. They have 4 real albums, there’s nothing to talk about, the music is old and boring. When’s the last time you genuinely listened to a GnR song for fun? 

it’s the fact that this band is managed by a nanny, it’s the fact that they troll the shit out of their fans, it’s the fact that they sound like shit live, it’s the fact that they’re all fat. That’s why I love them. It’s fun to watch. Dare say my favorite band, all because everything they do makes me laugh 

They've essentially been a real life Spinal Tap to some extent. You can't write some of the comedy that has come out of the past 20 years; the wigs, the botox, various vocal disasters, mickey, shit guitarist after shit guitarist, two keyboard players, breaking his fat foot and singing for ac/dc, the bridge school, yellow raincoat, the FAT photos, all the leaked tracks years before official releases. 

It's definitely been a ride for sure. 

4 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Let's talk.

1. Firing Steven Adler and hiring Matt Sorum

2. Releasing the November Rain video during the advent of Grunge

3. Releasing a covers album 

4. Then, 6 years later, releasing a live album which advertised club shows with the Appetite lineup, yet, the actual live tracks were recorded in the 1990s, during the Use Your Illusion Stadium tour, and include studio overdubs from Axl's 1999 Sean Beaven sessions

5. No press, leading up to a disaster performance at the VMAs, which shocked the public with Axl's appearance and...  Buckethead :bucket:

6. Hiring someone named Bumblefoot to replace someone named Buckethead

7. Hiring Dj ASHBA

8. Letting Fernando manage the brand :rofl-lol:

9. Letting Fernando manage the social media :rofl-lol:

10. Letting Fernando manage the merch :rofl-lol:

All valid points but the bolded made me particularly laugh.

2 hours ago, Salsh Borski said:

Ashba. 

Yes, he was a fucking jackass buffoon, but I still liked Mi Amor and Ballad of Death.

1 hour ago, Bonemaster7000 said:

Ahem… pitman and that Melissa chic (I still don’t get the point of two keyboardist, let alone one).

Yeah, I guess Axl just never got over his fetish for having extra retards crowding the stage pretending to "play" instruments and spaz out ever since he turned the tight 5 man AFD unit into the bloated mess on the UYI tours......Poodle Perm, Dizzy, Teddy Zig Zag, Tracy and Roberta, and the fucking horn players.....no wonder Duff's pancreas noped the fuck outta there.

Only mistake was really Axl and Slash refusing to work together and put out an album in 94-96. Axl should have done Snakepit and Slash should have played with Huge and done a solo for This I Love.  It's like we all took the red pill and all our dreams and fears came true at once. 

6 hours ago, wasted said:

Only mistake was really Axl and Slash refusing to work together and put out an album in 94-96. Axl should have done Snakepit and Slash should have played with Huge and done a solo for This I Love.  It's like we all took the red pill and all our dreams and fears came true at once. 

When you look at the reasons they broke up, it is just incredibly dumb. The amount of music we missed out on and the amount of money they lost over Huge and refusal to work on each other's stuff is just incomprehensible. Double album with Axl singing on Snakepit on one disc, Slash playing on Axl's industrial rock and piano ballads on the other. Duff and Additional Musician Matt would have gone along with anything. But they couldn't reach that compromise. Incredible. 

27 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

When you look at the reasons they broke up, it is just incredibly dumb. The amount of music we missed out on and the amount of money they lost over Huge and refusal to work on each other's stuff is just incomprehensible. Double album with Axl singing on Snakepit on one disc, Slash playing on Axl's industrial rock and piano ballads on the other. Duff and Additional Musician Matt would have gone along with anything. But they couldn't reach that compromise. Incredible. 

Considering izzy was writing with the band in 95/96 i reckon there would have been some really good tunes out of those sessions, that may have been better than the snakepit stuff.

20 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

There's only one bad decision ever made by GNR, and that was the decision to let Axl make all the decisions.

He single-handedly ruined the band's reputation and credibility for decades.

It wasn't til about 20 years after "Appetite" came out that the mainstream suddenly decided GNR were "cool" again.  Hell, they got inducted into the RnR HOF by Billie Joe from Green Day, a guy that would have died of embarrassment ever being associated with GNR at the height of his own fame.  But enough time had passed that it was finally acceptable to admit that you actually liked AFD.

Axl should have shut up and sang, period.  Slash and Duff should have never left in the first place.  No Buckethead or Chinese bullshit.  Just real GNR.

Release a new album every 3-4 years and tour to support it like every other successful band has done for the last 30 years.  They didn't have to be life-changing....just release fucking albums.  Tour.  Be normal.

Fuck.

I agree with all this, and I think you really summed a lot of it up better than probably everyone else here could've, but I will disagree with one point:

I don't think it was ever necessarily "uncool" to like GN'R. Like to the extent of where say, it was like being an unironic fan of Elvis in the 2000s would've been. When I got into GN'R in 2002, they were uncool, but they weren't cool either. They were just irrelevant. I remember being in 6th grade when the VMAs in 2002 happened and I do not remember anyone talking about GN'R's performance, either negatively or positively. It was for at least people my age at the time just utterly irrelevant. It was some rock band.

Maybe for a time around 1993-1996 or so, hating on GN'R was a cool thing, because the UYI tour drama and corniness was still so fresh. I don't know, I was small. I do know that rock fans who were older than you even actually viewed GN'R as corny after around 1993 just from the things I've been told, but I don't know that in the mainstream as a whole (meaning outside the rock/metal fanbase) they were ever exactly uncool to the point of where liking them would mark you as a loser.