The Official Hard Skool Review Thread

Donald Trump

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured out the guitars:

Solo 1: Slash

Solo 2 Part One is Fortus from 1:39 to 1:51, Part Two 1:51 to bridge on is Slash

Bridge: Fortus

Ending Solo: Slash

Tapping: Fortus/Slash

It follows the AFD/UYI production where rhythm guitar is left, lead is right

Lol at "the mix is shit" virgins

Meanwhile "this is the best mix of a GNR song since the 90's" enjoyers are just chillin' (drums are a bit meh though)

has it reinvented the wheel? no

is it a "classic GNR" signature song? not really

But it's probably the last time we've heard Axl with rasp on a record so...take it or leave it. It already had the "classic band" vibe on it

Oh and the song flows MUCH better than the demo, even with Slash not being the master he could be at times...

I highly doubt Axl could sing at this level on a studio recording anymore ( but who are we kidding, he will never record complete new vocal takes again so...)

11 hours ago, Wilco said:

Figured out the guitars:

Solo 1: Slash

Solo 2 Part One is Fortus from 1:39 to 1:51, Part Two 1:51 to bridge on is Slash

Bridge: Fortus

Ending Solo: Slash

Tapping: Fortus

It follows the AFD/UYI production where rhythm guitar is left, lead is right

Slash cannot really tap that fast

3 hours ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Lol at "the mix is shit" virgins

Meanwhile "this is the best mix of a GNR song since the 90's" enjoyers are just chillin' (drums are a bit meh though)

has it reinvented the wheel? no

is it a "classic GNR" signature song? not really

But it's probably the last time we've heard Axl with rasp on a record so...take it or leave it. It already had the "classic band" vibe on it

Oh and the song flows MUCH better than the demo, even with Slash not being the master he could be at times...

I highly doubt Axl could sing at this level on a studio recording anymore ( but who are we kidding, he will never record complete new vocal takes again so...)

Lol no.

2 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Lol no.

what constitutes as a good mix in your book?

There is no point arguing about it until you present examples

The mix is fucking fine

Drums are a bit meh, but the mix is ultimately better than on the demo (which was never meant to be heard on that form anyway)

21 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

what constitutes as a good mix in your book?

There is no point arguing about it until you present examples

The mix is fucking fine

Drums are a bit meh, but the mix is ultimately better than on the demo (which was never meant to be heard on that form anyway)

A good mix is one where every instrument and track used has its place in terms of “location” (L-R in a typical stereo mix) and frequencies. That’s in its more basic form. There’s compression, reverb, delay and several other effects that have their own purpose in the process.

When you say the drums are just meh, what do you mean exactly about the drums?

36 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

A good mix is one where every instrument and track used has its place in terms of “location” (L-R in a typical stereo mix) and frequencies. That’s in its more basic form. There’s compression, reverb, delay and several other effects that have their own purpose in the process.

When you say the drums are just meh, what do you mean exactly about the drums?

the drumming is too simple for the track

What you said about a good mix is basically on the track btw...

You could actually hear bass and guitars and the drums just fine with Axl's vocals

What more do you want from a 36 year old nostalgia rock band which releases new music in every 2 decade if their fans are lucky...

3 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

the drumming is too simple for the track

What you said about a good mix is basically on the track btw...

You could actually hear bass and guitars and the drums just fine with Axl's vocals

What more do you want from a 36 year old nostalgia rock band which releases new music in every 2 decade if their fans are lucky...

Well that aspect has nothing to do with the mix. The OG drums were light years beyond what we ended up getting.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad they’re releasing music. I listen to Absurd rather often, even if I prefer silkworms.

These are not bad songs in themselves. Whether or not they meet the “style” expectations of anyone is a pointless discussion. But there are technical aspects that are more objective and we can nerd out and discuss that.

There’s something about the last 2 single releases that feels very amateurish, and it’s hard not to notice. Axl/GNR need competent management, but that ship sailed a while ago and it’s not coming back.

You like the rasp in the song. I think the vocals are great, for sure the biggest strength of the song. I do hate though the stupid delay they put in the verses when he sings “… what we had”. I don’t care if the vocals are from 20 years ago or not, I care about the finished song. This one could have been better.

And the song doesn’t breathe, it’s too compressed, there’s no air, no variation, no ups and downs. The drums have exactly the same problem: no dynamics, plus the tone is on the lower side, muddles the bass area… compared to the demo where the drums (regardless of the playing) have a much crisper tone, they sit better in the mix.

Seriously, is Caram Constanzo de mixer engineer at this point? Or is his mentioning just a running joke?

For the "cowbell" naysayers

Nightrain has cowbells, always had and guess fucking what? i'm missing it since they ditched the cowbell in 2009 or in 2007 (in 2006 it was there)

The OG drums were light years beyond what we ended up getting.

it was also shit, because the song has shit drums

Josh Freese should have been played it better

or hell, give Adler a take or even fucking Sorum

There’s something about the last 2 single releases that feels very amateurish, and it’s hard not to notice

Funny that's what i've felt when i first heard ANY CD leaks back in 2006...or when i've heard the 2002 boots for the first time back then (around 03-04)

Truth is Axl is not THAT great when it comes to music/writing/"composing" songs

that's why i'm a GNR fan and not andAxl fan only ,but without his (raspy) voice there is not GNR

It's just... less is sometimes better when it comes to controlling EVERYTHING in your band including the songwriting

he simply cannot really write great or outstanding music on his own, his vocal abilites were impressive for sure and he has (had) a god given talent with his voice, but as a songwriter he is pretty meh since 91 (even back then it felt like cringe sometimes...)

17 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

And the song doesn’t breathe, it’s too compressed, there’s no air, no variation, no ups and downs. The drums have exactly the same problem: no dynamics, plus the tone is on the lower side, muddles the bass area… compared to the demo where the drums (regardless of the playing) have a much crisper tone, they sit better in the mix.

Seriously, is Caram Constanzo de mixer engineer at this point? Or is his mentioning just a running joke?

That's 80-90's nostalgia band radio rock for ya...

15 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Truth is Axl is not THAT great when it comes to music/writing/"composing" songs

15 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

he simply cannot really write great or outstanding music on his own, his vocal abilites were impressive for sure and he has (had) a god given talent with his voice, but as a songwriter he is pretty meh since 91 (even back then it felt like cringe sometimes...)

You're reaching new heights of retarded :lol::facepalm:

16 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

You're reaching new heights of retarded :lol::facepalm:

then prove me wrong

show me those great songs Axl has written since 1990-91

Btw we are talking about a completely different thing here and i'm feeling you've taking our words literally...

But for the sake of examples:

Show me his multi million dollar making singles, songs that became a staple and the audience goes wild when they (even as fat and shit version of themselves) playing it

Axl is a fucking nobody when it comes to song writing, can only write and whine about his past relationships with/about women, he also beats them on the reg then write a love song for them....

He hasn't released a completely new and actually great rock song since 1991 and hasn't released a song which doesn't contain at least 20 year old vocal takes

Go figure