Almost Official: Hard School Will Be Released

auad

I don't think Hardschool/Absurd have been AFDified at all. It's just basic hard left, hard right, fills and leads straight up the middle. That's just the most basic rock set up there is. If you think it's AFD style because there aren't 4 guitar parts layered on each side, lol. There's still random beeps and boops and synths and shit in both songs they just aren't as prominent as they are in previous versions. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:12 AM, Tremolo said:

I like it when bands stray away from what is expected of them. I’m glad UYI wasn’t an AFD 2.0, and I’m glad CD moved even beyond that. These 2 songs were stripped off some of their elements and they were replaced with some lazy “back to the roots” playing by Slash and an overall minimalistic approach compared to what they were at one point. And it just doesn’t work. These songs were conceived differently and they were changed for the worse.

As always, Queen is the example I turn to.  Their first album is early-70s hard rock.  Their second album is early-70s art rock.  Their third album is a buffet of every style they can fit onto a 35 minute album.  Their fourth and fifth albums follow that up and they just keep adding different styles.  Their sixth album was deliberately simple, they already had a tour scheduled and only a few weeks to record an album.  Their seventh album follows that style.  Their eighth album was basically figuring out how to fit a synthesizer into their music.  Their ninth album was basically all synthesizer.  Their tenth album was disco.

But it only took them ten years to do that.  Music is just organized vibrations of air molecules over a specific period of time.  A three minute song can't be improved by spending twenty years to process it.

Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. figured out how to do different styles in a lot less time than Axl needs.  And the audience has more to listen to, amazing!  Metallica, AC-DC and Aerosmith has mostly stayed where they are which is fine too.  And the audience still has more to listen to.

The change from Appetite to Lies to UYI is fine but that's all there is.  Another six or seven albums before 2008 would show the change-over to Chinese Democracy.  Without that, there's just a lunatic who demands everything be done his way and will quit if he doesn't give it and has enough money to get away with that.  It would be different if he actually wanted to do anything but he doesn't.

9 hours ago, Tremolo said:

It’s that kind of bullshit. Going back to the old days gives them legitimacy with the hardcore morons that got stuck in time and never moved on.

In the case of Metallica, the mullet crowd were already furious when The Black Album came out. Load and Reload must have felt like a spit in the face. When things couldn’t get any worse for them, St Anger is released, alienating the rest of their hardcore fans.

I find it pathetic, but it is how the industry rolls.

I’m glad I never saw Bowie trying to pull a Ziggy Stardust anytime after ‘73.

Most of the hardcores I know hated Hardwired and Death Magnetic. They're never going to win many of the old crowd over with their new material. 

1 hour ago, Billy Ripper said:

Most of the hardcores I know hated Hardwired and Death Magnetic. They're never going to win many of the old crowd over with their new material. 

I’m not saying the approach was a success, but I find it hard to believe that any artist would go “back to the roots” with anything else but money in their minds. It’s regressive and a betrayal of the artist’s integrity and a denial of their own growth.

3 hours ago, ChrisW said:

As always, Queen is the example I turn to.  Their first album is early-70s hard rock.  Their second album is early-70s art rock.  Their third album is a buffet of every style they can fit onto a 35 minute album.  Their fourth and fifth albums follow that up and they just keep adding different styles.  Their sixth album was deliberately simple, they already had a tour scheduled and only a few weeks to record an album.  Their seventh album follows that style.  Their eighth album was basically figuring out how to fit a synthesizer into their music.  Their ninth album was basically all synthesizer.  Their tenth album was disco.

But it only took them ten years to do that.  Music is just organized vibrations of air molecules over a specific period of time.  A three minute song can't be improved by spending twenty years to process it.

Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. figured out how to do different styles in a lot less time than Axl needs.  And the audience has more to listen to, amazing!  Metallica, AC-DC and Aerosmith has mostly stayed where they are which is fine too.  And the audience still has more to listen to.

The change from Appetite to Lies to UYI is fine but that's all there is.  Another six or seven albums before 2008 would show the change-over to Chinese Democracy.  Without that, there's just a lunatic who demands everything be done his way and will quit if he doesn't give it and has enough money to get away with that.  It would be different if he actually wanted to do anything but he doesn't.

I’m still interested in listening to what has been recorded and that we haven’t heard yet.

Axl’s motivations, work ethic, and all those things have made me stop spending a single penny on gnr, but it doesn’t interfere with my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the material.

21 hours ago, ChrisW said:

The funny thing is, you can make three albums with the village sessions where you would get that progression. 

42 minutes ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

The funny thing is, you can make three albums with the village sessions where you would get that progression. 

CD is a shitload of ideas. And it doesn't make sense to compare them to Queen, because Axl was the only member of the original squad. 

On 11/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, Ragnar said:

Metallica's "return to roots" was horrible. Death Magnetic and Hardwied' are dreadful.

Spit Out The Bone, really ?

yes, really

It's just shows AGAIN that you're being edgy and unable to enjoy ANYTHING

Most of the Metallica fans wanted them to go back to their metal roots

Yes, songs are too long, but those two albums are better than St. Anger for example

Go and listen those songs with  the AJFA tone

It's on youtube

it shows the songwriting is still there, just Lars being a shithead "ruining" the songs...

On 11/8/2021 at 8:16 PM, Dr. Thunder said:

I don't think Hardschool/Absurd have been AFDified at all. It's just basic hard left, hard right, fills and leads straight up the middle. That's just the most basic rock set up there is. If you think it's AFD style because there aren't 4 guitar parts layered on each side, lol. There's still random beeps and boops and synths and shit in both songs they just aren't as prominent as they are in previous versions. 

this

On 11/9/2021 at 12:34 AM, Billy Ripper said:

Most of the hardcores i know (who are still following the band) are liking the new records

Then again, there are some hardcores with the opinion: Metallica ended in 1991-92

go figure

56 minutes ago, RedHook said:

New Slash single (#20) is moving up the charts,

while Hard Stool (#12) is going down.

Screenshot_2021-11-13-10-20-46(1).thumb.png.f9f18a24b305092efe2716872f8f93a1.png

What a joke.

As shitty as Hard Stool is,

the Gravy is Rising is much worse. Lol

Hard Stool's problem is that it's too average. So average that it's instantly forgettable.

If it were shit, it might be memorable in some way. And being shit is not problem when it comes to climbing the modern rock charts. But in general no one cares about new songs from dinosaur rock bands. The motivation for releasing GnR releasing music has to be an artistic one, or one rooted in feeding the hardcore portion of the fanbase. And if Axl has proven one thing over the years it's that he could not care less about either of those things. 

My guess is he uses the lukewarm response to Abturd and Hard Stool as an excuse to avoid releasing anything else in the foreseeable future.