Locomotive is a masterpiece

Fat Monkey

15 minutes ago, GUNNER said:

The effect over Axl's voice in the verses is annoying. The song is great but thats a problem

Yeah. You got a voice that could do so much incredible stuff naturally and he too often resorted to gimmicking it. He could sing like that TIL remix in 2010 yet on the album he layered up the Mickey and sounded like a computer. 

Loved it then and love it now. 

But as mentioned previously, it’s pissed on slightly, as are a LOT of the illusions tracks, with Axls “deep voice” overdubs.

I’d love to hear the bare bones versions of the illusions albums. Minus the synths and minus the vocal overdubs. 

It Would have been great if they’d managed to do this in Paris with Jeff Beck. There’s 1-2 versions recorded on the illusions tour, but none of soundboard quality that I’m aware of. 

15 hours ago, Johnny Ramone said:

Loved it then and love it now. 

But as mentioned previously, it’s pissed on slightly, as are a LOT of the illusions tracks, with Axls “deep voice” overdubs.

I’d love to hear the bare bones versions of the illusions albums. Minus the synths and minus the vocal overdubs. 

It Would have been great if they’d managed to do this in Paris with Jeff Beck. There’s 1-2 versions recorded on the illusions tour, but none of soundboard quality that I’m aware of. 

Listen to the demo version then plus the Mates rehearsal from '89: No Axl just Duff Slash and Steven(!) song is shorter

As for live version: there is a good quality bootleg from the Shoreline Amphitheatre '91, that's the best live performance of the song

14 hours ago, Facekicker said:

I love it.

I remember listening to it one night after doing some serious bong hits with some incredible weed. It kicked in heavily just as that transition and outro came in...fuck me it was mind-blowing. 

Also had a similar experience and probably the only time a GNR song helped me to get laid:awesome: Weed was good, song was perfect for the moment and the chick had big titties:meadow: My 19 year old self appreciated it

Hell yeah, one of the best on the UYIs, maybe the best of the 6+ minute songs. Might just creep into my top 10 GNR songs, that riff is just relentless and the outro is sublime. Honestly not a big fan of Sorum's drum parts, always preferred Adler's on the demos. But the rest of the band are on fire and it's so damn good anyway that I don't care. 

On 8/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Facekicker said:

I love it.

I remember listening to it one night after doing some serious bong hits with some incredible weed. It kicked in heavily just as that transition and outro came in...fuck me it was mind-blowing. 

I got to hand it to Axl. 

Dude was high out of his mind messing around with the illusions and it worked out in his favor. 

I really like it when he is self indulgent with six to eight minute songs. It works best when he let's Slash do his part. That's Guns N' Roses at it's greatest. 

I know it's a hot take but I like Absurd because of it. Yeah Axl sounds like shit but you could tell Slash was amped up to play again. 

If Axl gets his voice back this band could be special again. 

On 8/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, EstrangedTWAT said:

Once I sat in my mom's car reading Death's Head comics (remember him?) while my mom had a doctor's appointment.

I listened to LocoMotive over and over and over.....got fucking better everytime.   TRUE masterpiece.    In my all time GNR Top Ten for sure.

Remember like a decade ago we did the GNFNR cover of it that Evader mixed?   Good times, good times....

When the album was released, they played 2 new songs on the radio.

The first was of course You Could be Mine, because it was the single at the time 

Then afterwards, they played Locomotive. 

I remembe the DJ introducing it. 

He was like, this song is really cool, it's a bit longer but I really dig it

One time I was really fucked up listening to XM radio and locomotive came on and because I was so fucked up, I thought it was a new GNR song.  It is the perfect example of what could have been, the blending of modernization of GNR sound and staying true to the bands rock and roll roots, as cheesy as that sounds.  It's the sound of what nu g&r should have been.