Absurd Single Discussion

Haters Gonna Hate

6 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Again with this band, what could have been great 20 years ago doesn’t quitw translate in the same way today.

That's probably why most band's don't go to 20 year wells to pick their "new" single from lmao. Especially not one as incredibly dated as industrial metal. That genre's not my bag. I appreciate them putting something out, but if this is the style going forward, I won't enojoy it.

11 minutes ago, RedHook said:

No real pyro or fireworks anymore at the GNR show.

Its all done on the video screens now.

No fireworks at the end, takes away the one part of Paradise City that I liked. 

FB_IMG_1629144324120.jpg.144e7a0dac255839ce19ef7657547ff3.jpg

More pyro for Cody Rhode's entrance at Daily's Place.

Guns gotta save money to pay them top lawyers to sue the shit out of some t-shirt bootleggers. 

26 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

It’s a song that was stripped off its context, so it doesn’t work in 2021.

The song had a solid structure that they fucked with:

They got rid of the intro, which was tied to the bridge/break. So now the bridge section seems like it came out of nowhere and was just placed there.

They got rid of the chorus, and instead we get Axl saying “absurd” over and over.

Now it sounds awfully repetitive, why the fuck would they do that?

It was an industrial song, it’s a different genre, don’t expect the complexities of hard rock, or metal, or progressive rock. It was just heavy, some cool synth work, heavy guitar chords, no crazy solos, no elaborate riffs, just raw hard energy.

The lyrics were written by a hurt angry Axl more than 20 years ago. It made sense.

Fast forward 20 years and  what we have is a bunch of >50 year-olds playing a hardrock cover of an industrial song with a weak structure, with an old man screaming “pussy full of maggots”. Don’t get me wrong though, to me Axl singing those lyrics today is as painful as him singing WTTJ, ISE, YCBM, Brownstone, etc… completely out of place and kinda pathetic.

Now, younger Axl and the gang (finck, tobias, tommy, etc) playing the OG Silkworms… that stuff had energy and it was just a raw industrial song with angry Axl on vocal, very fitting for the time.

Again with this band, what could have been great 20 years ago doesn’t quitw translate in the same way today.

It was more electro punk than Industrial. In the vein of Prodigy.

8 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

I love the Prodigy, but silkworms seems to me more rooted in industrial and not so close to the Prodigy, mostly for the lack of groove. The rhythmic core of silkworms seems more rooted in rock than techno or electronic music.

I can  see people in Berlin dancing all night to Prodigy in some dark club. I can’t say the same about Silkworms. It’s more of a headbanger than a raver.

5 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

I love the Prodigy, but silkworms seems to me more rooted in industrial and not so close to the Prodigy, mostly for the lack of groove. The rhythmic core of silkworms seems more rooted in rock than techno or electronic music.

I can  see people in Berlin dancing all night to Prodigy in some dark club. I can’t say the same about Silkworms. It’s more of a headbanger than a raver.

eye on you if completed would be a great rave song 

1 hour ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

It doesn't weaken anything. All it does is show Slash just cares about the money and will play on anything if it means a paycheck.

Absurd is an old song.  They played it live a handful of times back in 2000/2001.  It's not like something like hard school where it has never been played live and people wouldn't know its not new if they played it.

Nov Rain and Don't cry were old songs when they were released on UYI they were not new. Axl even talks about Don't Cry being an old song during the UYI tour, so you totally defeated your argument on that one.  

If the world is by far the best song on CD. its laughable you would call it the weakest especially when there is shit songs like scraped on there.   Not to mention if the world was used on a movie soundtrack. 

Slash and Duff are not more open minded they just want the gravy train to keep trolling so they will do like they did in 91-93 and just cuck to axl and let him do what he wants if it means they keep making their millions.

Silkworms is the weakest song by far out of the locker songs, maybe 2nd next to nothing. But those two are by far the weakest to of what could have been released as the first single.

You can't tell me you don't think it would have been better if something like Hard School, Atlas, Perhaps, SOG, Zodiac, Rebel, Quick Song, Elvis, or any of those instrumentals would have been a better single than Silkworms.

Slash has been doing questionable collaborations for a long time, since he's been out of guns. I don't think Slash would play on anything he completely hates. Is absurd his favorite track? Most likely not, but I bet he doesn't despise it either.

Most people have no idea this is an 'old song". 30.years old or written yesterday, it makes no difference, especially to the ears that haven't heard an older version.

NR and DC, YCBM BOB were alllllll old songs by the time Illusions came out. Who cares...

My point is absurd had been kicked around for years as well.

If the world has good melodies and vocals. But the arrangement, stylistically speaking l, the drums, the entire vibe of it is ruined. Now that's a track that would benefit by a traditional approach. Use traditional drums, play it more rock, and use a more classic recording approach.  It sounds to tacky, those drums on it, terrible. My.lsast fav CD track. 

Slash and duff have been playing CD tracks for a while now. They've been telling people recording is happening.. its not out of the question they would add their flare to Axls existing music. When you all don't get it you complain.  Now that its here you complain. 

I think its a breath of fresh air. Especially when a band is doing what they want on their own terms. They clearly have the resources to do that. Thry don't care what the fans think they want, they are doing things as they please. IF I hated absurd I would at least give them credit for doing things in an unorthodox manner.

Any of their songs will be embraced, some more then others. I could care less of they have a hit or not. Im into music for the sake of music not any "industry" standards. Especially now when things can and are rapidly changing. 

53 minutes ago, BucketSlash said:

NR and DC, YCBM BOB were alllllll old songs by the time Illusions came out. Who cares...

My point is absurd had been kicked around for years as well.

If the world has good melodies and vocals. But the arrangement, stylistically speaking l, the drums, the entire vibe of it is ruined. Now that's a track that would benefit by a traditional approach. Use traditional drums, play it more rock, and use a more classic recording approach.  It sounds to tacky, those drums on it, terrible. My.lsast fav CD track. 

Slash and duff have been playing CD tracks for a while now. They've been telling people recording is happening.. its not out of the question they would add their flare to Axls existing music. When you all don't get it you complain.  Now that its here you complain. 

I think its a breath of fresh air. Especially when a band is doing what they want on their own terms. They clearly have the resources to do that. Thry don't care what the fans think they want, they are doing things as they please. IF I hated absurd I would at least give them credit for doing things in an unorthodox manner.

Any of their songs will be embraced, some more then others. I could care less of they have a hit or not. Im into music for the sake of music not any "industry" standards. Especially now when things can and are rapidly changing. 

Yes they were old songs but guess what? They were GREAT old songs unlike Absurd. 

Absurd in its current format is total trash.  It's a joke it was their first single.

Nov Rain, DC and YCBM are three of GNR's best songs ever. You can't say that about Absurd.

As for if the world how is the vibe or arrangement ruined? It sounds like a James Bond song.  The arrangement for ITW is great.   ITW is a great blend of hiphop and rock.  You love talk about GNR progressing that is the perfect example of a great song of their progression.   Its Absurd you are shitting on a song like if the world while defending Absurd.

I have said since the reunion started I dont want to hear Slash and Duff rework the BH and Finck era stuff. Just release those songs with BH and Finck and Axl Slash and Duff should all write songs from scratch together.  That is what most people want. Not hearing Slash and Duff just redo 20 year old songs that they can't improve upon. We have already heard them butcher the CD stuff live and how much worse Absurd has gotten with their touches and even how crappy their rehearsal of Hard School is where they dumb down all the guitars.  

You talk about how music is rapidly changing yeah exactly thus why its Absurd they are reworking 20 year old songs. 

Yes they were old songs but guess what? They were GREAT old songs unlike Absurd. 

Absurd in its current format is total trash.  It's a joke it was their first single.

Nov Rain, DC and YCBM are three of GNR's best songs ever. You can't say that about Absurd.

As for if the world how is the vibe or arrangement ruined? It sounds like a James Bond song.  The arrangement for ITW is great.   ITW is a great blend of hiphop and rock.  You love talk about GNR progressing that is the perfect example of a great song of their progression.   Its Absurd you are shitting on a song like if the world while defending Absurd.

I have said since the reunion started I dont want to hear Slash and Duff rework the BH and Finck era stuff. Just release those songs with BH and Finck and Axl Slash and Duff should all write songs from scratch together.  That is what most people want. Not hearing Slash and Duff just redo 20 year old songs that they can't improve upon. We have already heard them butcher the CD stuff live and how much worse Absurd has gotten with their touches and even how crappy their rehearsal of Hard School is where they dumb down all the guitars.  

You talk about how music is rapidly changing yeah exactly thus why its Absurd they are reworking 20 year old songs.

I know many people that think NR and DC are shit songs.  Liking a song or not is subective...

I'm stating the facts, the fact is Guns has ALWAYS been a progression. None of their material can be pigion holed into one style, looking at the albums collectively. 

If you think that's for the worst then thats your opinion.  I happen to like a lot of different styles of music and I am always interested to hear things blend. The fact that NONE of you can agree what absurd sounds like is proof that there are many influences thrown into one pot.

ITW sounds corny, the drums arrangement, and the drum beat. The sounds of the drums and the approach. It could have been a timeless song, but its cheese out to death. Thats how I feel about the production and the choice of tones, I would have loved to have heard those melodies done more traditionally. 

Again, IT WAS A progression, so that's a fact, I just didn't happen to appreciate the style of it. Nobody can deny its melodic, the melodies are great and memorable. 

Abusrd is NOT about melody, harmonies, or being traditional.  I just happen to like the vibe, the attitude, and the energy of it. That can't be faked, and as I see (and many others) the intentions of the song translate I've and I'd argue that they enjoy playing it.

I'm sure they don't care what you want reworked or not. Nobody can seem to grasp the fact that this band isn't an AC/DC type band. They don't stuck to trued and true formulas. They don't release albums that sound the same. 

The thing that makes guns so unique is their influences and how broad they range between all the members. 

Its interesting to me that most of you complain about the one thing that always made guns stand out from the rest of the so called "rock-and-roll" bands. They are eclectic.

6 hours ago, BucketSlash said:

Yeah. 

You're just a bitter cry baby. 

Yes, they progessed its a fact. Each album shows that.

I think you need a new hobby. 

They don't care about what you or I think. Take your entitlement and bitterness and listen to your OLD music. 

this post is so 2006

Go back to gyno or htgth where you belong Jarmo Ali Mojo

1 minute ago, BucketSlash said:

You've just been complaining since 2006. That's a lot of time...

and you're kissing Axl's ass since then or what? He can't sing since 2011 so that's alone invalidates your opinion whatsoever

Btw how many noobs here arguing about whether Don't Cry  was an "old song"? It was their first written song, even dates back to the Holywood Rose year

Jesus Christ on a lamppost, i can't stand noobs

4 hours ago, Ragnar said:

there is not such thing as electro punk

4 hours ago, Tremolo said:

Prodigy, gimme a break... it's just shows that most of you have never heard anything "industrial" or electronic back in the day and only talking about Prodigy (because of the energy i suppose) it's fine, but Shitworms/Absurd is hardly a "Prodigy-like" song....

and I'm the one this BucketcumSlash cunt from mygyno trying to lecture about "modern" music etc.

Fucking lol at GNR fans

3 hours ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

eye on you if completed would be a great rave song 

yeah, even now, imagine: " i'm your BIGMACDaddy dabadoodabadoo BigMacDaddy" etc.

nearly 60 year old Axl trying to be  a 23-25 year old from the late 90's....

amazing

Btw Fat on You was hardly a rave song lol

Have you ever been to a rave party back in the day or even the not so distant past?

If you put on Eye On You in any form on a rave party, people would beat you up or at the very least chase you away or ask you nicely to leave....

That being said, you had a good point earlier about Silkworms and how this band operates now...

8 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

and you're kissing Axl's ass since then or what? He can't sing since 2011 so that's alone invalidates your opinion whatsoever

Btw how many noobs here arguing about whether Don't Cry  was an "old song"? It was their first written song, even dates back to the Holywood Rose year

Jesus Christ on a lamppost, i can't stand noobs

No. I'm just a fan of the music. You just have so much time invested into complaining that it would be crazy for you to just stop now. Irs hilarious yet sad to waste so much time and energy. Kudos....

No shit Sherlock, DC is the oldest.

You're just a dork

9 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

there is not such thing as electro punk

Prodigy, gimme a break... it's just shows that most of you have never heard anything "industrial" or electronic back in the day and only talking about Prodigy (because of the energy i suppose) it's fine, but Shitworms/Absurd is hardly a "Prodigy-like" song....

and I'm the one this BucketcumSlash cunt from mygyno trying to lecture about "modern" music etc.

Fucking lol at GNR fans

yea its very prodigy esq.. in more then one way too. Open your ears. And maaaaany other people around the world can hear that. Read the YouTube comments. Perception happens to be reality 

3 minutes ago, BucketSlash said:

yea its very prodigy esq.. in more then one way too. Open your ears. And maaaaany other people around the world can hear that. Read the YouTube comments. Perception happens to be reality 

You cannot even comprehend my point.... geez

My point was: there were OTHER bands and genres besides Prodigy as an example....

I know many people that think NR and DC are shit songs. 

I wouldn't listen to NR or DC these days, because i'm sick of it after all these years, but calling their biggest hits shits songs again shows you know NOTHING about the real band and only in it for the pretentious Axl diva like bullshit

NUGNR never really existed. Axl's vision failed and he is actively ruining his own vision now as a nearly 60 year old fat man... lol

2 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

You cannot even comprehend my point.... geez

My point was: there were OTHER bands and genres besides Prodigy as an example....

I wouldn't listen to NR or DC these days, because i'm sick of it after all these years, but calling their biggest hits shits songs again shows you know NOTHING about the real band and only in it for the pretentious Axl diva like bullshit

NUGNR never really existed. Axl's vision failed and he is actively ruining his own vision now as a nearly 60 year old fat man... lol

No shit. 

And. I could care less about anything you mentioned about any band member. I love the music that's the bottom line. 

You pay attention to things that have no real substance.

I said I KNOW many people that think those songs are shit... read a bit before posting

23 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

yeah, even now, imagine: " i'm your BIGMACDaddy dabadoodabadoo BigMacDaddy" etc.

nearly 60 year old Axl trying to be  a 23-25 year old from the late 90's....

amazing

Btw Fat on You was hardly a rave song lol

Have you ever been to a rave party back in the day or even the not so distant past?

If you put on Eye On You in any form on a rave party, people would beat you up or at the very least chase you away or ask you nicely to leave....

That being said, you had a good point earlier about Silkworms and how this band operates now...

Doubt that part would be in the fished song.

Eye on you is def. a club song.  

And yes I have been to a few goth clubs back in the day and eye on you would fit right in.

You wouldn't call Eye on you an EDM type song? 

9 minutes ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

Doubt that part would be in the fished song.

Eye on you is def. a club song.  

And yes I have been to a few goth clubs back in the day and eye on you would fit right in.

you are mixing rave and goth now?

well, there is a subgenre for sure, but...

nevermind

i think i'm done with this shit song anyway