What are some of your personal favourite things to bash GNR for?

On 7/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, Sydney fan said:

I think Ashba eclipse them all.

Surley there were other guitarist that were interested for axl not to accept DJ.

Post Bucket, every guitarist was a clown show.

Talent aside, one would argue Bucket is the biggest clown of them all. 

I used to hold them/Axl in a category all of their own.

I believed.

Like, Dave Smith from Brisbane couldn't just join Guns N Roses- they had a pedigree/street cred/gutter rat thing.

But too many line-up changes and bands generally lose credibility- I'm thinking of Black Sabbath in the later 80s when it was just Iommi but now all these guys are old and dying off there's heaps of name bands with like only 1 original guy (often not even the singer) getting around.

Ashba killed new GNR dead for me, strictly for lols after 07.

But the main issue is no "new" music, and how they sell Christmas sweaters and plaster AFD imagery over horrible, tacky shit.

The AFD and UYI era band kicked ass.

Now GNR just sucks ass.

Fat, of course.

Laziness.

Lack of creativity and motivation. 

Poor management. 

I've never had a problem with any of the new band members. Ron was a good dude. His work on CD was a mess. Ashba was no worse than finck. They were all hired guns, doing a job..

Most of my problems are all Axl. He took this once great band, once great brand and turned it into an absolute joke. I hope he tours behind this same set for 25 more years, fatter and balder each year. 

I don't feel any of the negative shit in the band over the past 20+ years has anything to do with anyone but the fat man. 

6 hours ago, MacDaddyRose said:

Slash for being spineless. I always kind of had a loose admiration for him for not crawling back where he knew the grass was always greener, but I guess money talks. 

when slash was looking at doing a divorce, no way would he have recouped lost earnings through his solo stuff and to maintain his lifestyle.

Axls Vegas residencies would be lucky to pay his land tax bill on his Malibu property and all the other Brazilian  hanger-ons he has.

I think they were both at a stage where financially they needed each other. Not the ideal way for a reunion but money does talk.

8 hours ago, Doctor Dom said:

I used to hold them/Axl in a category all of their own.

I believed.

Like, Dave Smith from Brisbane couldn't just join Guns N Roses- they had a pedigree/street cred/gutter rat thing.

But too many line-up changes and bands generally lose credibility- I'm thinking of Black Sabbath in the later 80s when it was just Iommi but now all these guys are old and dying off there's heaps of name bands with like only 1 original guy (often not even the singer) getting around.

Ashba killed new GNR dead for me, strictly for lols after 07.

But the main issue is no "new" music, and how they sell Christmas sweaters and plaster AFD imagery over horrible, tacky shit.

The AFD and UYI era band kicked ass.

Now GNR just sucks ass.

If the word "integrity" comes in, i don't know why axl wanted ashba in the band. I would have thought he would have disbanded the band  raised the drawbridge never to be seen, and give GNR a rest until probably what happened with the reunion.

I guess Axl just wanted GNR to be a touring band, knew whatever lineup was never going to be as good as the 87-93 lineup. Blew a fuckload of chances with BH for new music.

Would love to know if he has any regrets during the BH phase.

If only he would have done it as a solo thing. No pressure, no comparisons to the old band, creatively I think we would have gotten more releases.

I saw them in 07 and during the nuguns phase only time i saw them.

just couldn't get into the CD stuff,and the lineup.

3 hours ago, Sydney fan said:

If the word "integrity" comes in, i don't know why axl wanted ashba in the band. I would have thought he would have disbanded the band  raised the drawbridge never to be seen, and give GNR a rest until probably what happened with the reunion.

I guess Axl just wanted GNR to be a touring band, knew whatever lineup was never going to be as good as the 87-93 lineup. Blew a fuckload of chances with BH for new music.

Would love to know if he has any regrets during the BH phase.

If only he would have done it as a solo thing. No pressure, no comparisons to the old band, creatively I think we would have gotten more releases.

I saw them in 07 and during the nuguns phase only time i saw them.

just couldn't get into the CD stuff,and the lineup.

Yep, I was in total disbelief that "Mr Integrity/man with a vision for a new, "mature" GNR" W.Axl Rose had hired teenygoth extraordinaire DJ Ashba.

I guess that's when the cookie crumbled and I realised he's totally full of shit.

I legit took Ashba's hiring as an insult.

Downloaded that first show (Taipei?) and just didn't bother anymore.

Just for lols from that point on.

23 minutes ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

Did Axl have to settle for DJ because no one else wanted the job?

DJ got hired just because he’s also from Indiana. Axl wasn’t even there to hear him play, all he needed to know was that Ashba came from the same State.

22 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

I’m not an Ashba fan but his gimmick was just silly….especially the top hat. However, his gimmick was no worse than Bucket and Finke when he joined - fink looked the part in 06 though 

It might have something to do with their stage presence.

Bucket and Finck can look like total freaks on stage, but it feels natural, it’s just how they are… extravagant, and in the case of Finck, he’s an expressionist. DJ in comparisson looked more normal, but his stage persona felt fake, like he was trying too hard to be cool and likeable. The whole Hogan ears… wtf dude, nobody knows who you are. Also his lack of awareness… wearing a top hat? Really?

Ashba was trying too hard to stand out, while Bucket and Finck, as much as they can look weird, they’re sort of low key.