Honest GNR Question

sofine11

20 minutes ago, MacDaddyRose said:

If the Fatman had any sense of humor, he'd troll fans with a Dustin bones cover or two, but he's a joyless, humorless drone since the "reunion." At least there was some sense of spontaneity in the 00 - 09 era... gonna be the same shit set. Fat. Bowlcut. Mickey vocals. Maybe an added cover song or two(Van Halen tribute?), or a deep UYI cut added. I think those are the only changes you'll possibly see. 

Axl has had to compromise for what Slash and the fans wanted. On time, kind of looking like a rock star, singing the hits, UYI deep cuts, 2 CD songs and a cover song he likes. He must be bored but he did hold out for at least 10-15 years. 

2 hours ago, MacDaddyRose said:

If the Fatman had any sense of humor, he'd troll fans with a Dustin bones cover or two, but he's a joyless, humorless drone since the "reunion." At least there was some sense of spontaneity in the 00 - 09 era... gonna be the same shit set. Fat. Bowlcut. Mickey vocals. Maybe an added cover song or two(Van Halen tribute?), or a deep UYI cut added. I think those are the only changes you'll possibly see. 

A more "rehearsed" version of Wheezing Horse.

18 hours ago, sofine11 said:

If, against all odds, and album was announced for, say, November what would your gut reaction be? Excited or not? 

I talk a lot of shit, and fucking rightfully so, but man I would be crazy happy and excited.  Even if it sucks, and I honestly don't think it will, it's the first music with them on it since forever ago.  At that point, I'd probably forgive that Axl likely recorded the vocals in 1999 and Slash recorded the solo in Axl's tennis court portapotty last year. I just wanna hit play on it.

Where do you honestly fall if that announcement, however unlikely, actually comes?

At this point, i wouldn't even be excited as much as even 5 years ago..... Maybe not excited  at all. Will definitely give it a spin though, but i seriously doubt it they can make an album full of bangers or even consistently good songs. 2-3 good songs, maybe one of them worthy of the b(r)andname, 3-4 ok songs, the rest will be filler anyways. Axl might pull it off in a studio, especially after years of "work" but even CD contained hilariously amateur mistakes (besides the good vocal moments of course). But on tour? Axl is too old and fat now, his last hurrah was AXL/DC and some 2016 shows with his own band. They will be butchering their own new material for sure....

A new album would be the ONLY reason to give them money again. Mainly because they are releasing new material in decades timeframe

I'll shit on it though. This band is dead for me. Rich and fat rockstars, but they aren't hungry anymore...life goes on

5 hours ago, wasted said:

Axl has had to compromise for what Slash and the fans wanted. On time, kind of looking like a rock star, singing the hits, UYI deep cuts, 2 CD songs and a cover song he likes. He must be bored but he did hold out for at least 10-15 years. 

I might be jaded fan, but i didnt ask him to be fat, and sing in a mickey voice. But i suppose the jokes on me. Considering how much tickets were he could have dropped half his weight and sang the way he did from 06 to 10. Splice up the setlist, get rid of the endless noodling boring solos and make it a great show for 2.5 to 3 hours. Thats called pride. But hes halfed arsed it since day 1 because the band know there will be more casual fans than hardcore fans attending. This is GNRs main fanbase.

6 hours ago, MacDaddyRose said:

Dustin bones should do a van halen song next.maybe jump.

39 minutes ago, Sydney fan said:

I might be jaded fan, but i didnt ask him to be fat, and sing in a mickey voice. But i suppose the jokes on me. Considering how much tickets were he could have dropped half his weight and sang the way he did from 06 to 10. Splice up the setlist, get rid of the endless noodling boring solos and make it a great show for 2.5 to 3 hours. Thats called pride. But hes halfed arsed it since day 1 because the band know there will be more casual fans than hardcore fans attending. This is GNRs main fanbase.

It's So Easy is the first song they play. I'm just saying maybe Axl doesn't care that much for some reasons. The whole thing is a compromise. People just want to see Axl and Slash again. And they are trying to give them all the songs they want, but it's not 1991 anymore. It's partly a GNR convention at this point. You're right though, I kind of remember the "fuck the die hards" message coming out. They want normal casual fans, not maniac fanatics who want them to play One in a Million or a whole set deep cuts. They play the hits they have to and everyone adds something. It's kind of like JFK assassination, everything will be redacted until after we are dead. We'll never know the answers. I just see it as the Stones meets KISS tour wise and they have the potential to put out a Zeppelin meets ACDC type album. 

I mean I went to see Dylan on his world tour and he can't sing for toffee.He never could be he embodies those songs. You want to see Axl welcome you to the jungle one more time.  I think there's an element of spectacle to stadium shows. It's almost like sports. People are there to see the show, there to say they were there, it's not a singing competition, it's an nostalgia ceremony. I went to Stones shows because I was listening to Let it Bleed and Exile but when I got to the show it was Voodoo Lounge, it was much more like a circus than Altamount Speedway. Then I saw them again more recently and it just felt more like some old guys doing Stones karaoke. Rock shows are starting to look more like musicals, everything is choreographed and there's all these expectations. Axl not singing perfectly is almost a statement of somekind, I'm not sure what it means but it has something to do with not giving a fuck.  

Random thought: Those Chinese Democracy remixes were so fucking bad.  I'm honestly shocked Brain put them together, as I regard him as a pretty damn good drummer.  I'm so glad that 2011 "re-launch" didn't materialize.  It would have been new album jackets, and a second disc of remixes that were all essentially 14 different variations of the Happy Birthday song.

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

Random thought: Those Chinese Democracy remixes were so fucking bad.  I'm honestly shocked Brain put them together, as I regard him as a pretty damn good drummer.  I'm so glad that 2011 "re-launch" didn't materialize.  It would have been new album jackets, and a second disc of remixes that were all essentially 14 different variations of the Happy Birthday song.

Strongly agree.

Remixes and hard rock bands like GNR don't really go together anyway in my book.

Who the fuck wants them?

2 hours ago, Doctor Dom said:

Strongly agree.

Remixes and hard rock bands like GNR don't really go together anyway in my book.

Who the fuck wants them?

Axl is into house music, isn't he?  Probably just another bad idea he spouted back in the day and everyone in the room gave an emphatic "That's a great idea Axl!!!!" leaving him typically unchecked. I'm sure that was it.

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

Axl is into house music, isn't he?  Probably just another bad idea he spouted back in the day and everyone in the room gave and emphatic "That's a great idea Axl!!!!" leaving him typically unchecked. I'm sure that was it.

This is just a guess, but he might have been inspired by NIN, who were pretty much releasing a remix album after each official release, but these were other artists remixing the songs. Some are pretty fucking good.

The CD remixes don’t sound like someone was inspired by the songs, but more like a task just to have them done.