Honest GNR Question

sofine11

If, against all odds, an album was announced for, say, November what would your gut reaction be? Excited or not? 

I talk a lot of shit, and fucking rightfully so, but man I would be crazy happy and excited.  Even if it sucks, and I honestly don't think it will, it's the first music with them on it since forever ago.  At that point, I'd probably forgive that Axl likely recorded the vocals in 1999 and Slash recorded the solo in Axl's tennis court portapotty last year. I just wanna hit play on it.

Where do you honestly fall if that announcement, however unlikely, actually comes?

Announcements about a gnr album release means jack shit, so i wouldn’t pay much attention.

If an album is released, I’ll listen to it, but my excitement about new music pretty much dissipated when Duff and Slash came back. I’m more interested in music from the CD sessions with the musicians involved in that project.

If it has CD 2 tracks Soul Monster/General/Berlin, of course I'd be excited, as those songs were written by Axl Rose when he was still Axl Rose. If not, I couldn't give a fuck. Slash hasn't written a decent instrumental since 2010 and Axl is a drugged up, washed up, woke corporate jukebox. Why would I want brand new songs from him?

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

If, against all odds, and album was announced for, say, November what would your gut reaction be? Excited or not? 

I talk a lot of shit, and fucking rightfully so, but man I would be crazy happy and excited.  Even if it sucks, and I honestly don't think it will, it's the first music with them on it since forever ago.  At that point, I'd probably forgive that Axl likely recorded the vocals in 1999 and Slash recorded the solo in Axl's tennis court portapotty last year. I just wanna hit play on it.

Where do you honestly fall if that announcement, however unlikely, actually comes?

If it was scheduled for a fall release, I'd be down. If they don't feature new songs on the upcoming tour then I highly doubt it.

17 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

If it was scheduled for a fall release, I'd be down. If they don't feature new songs on the upcoming tour then I highly doubt it.

10 more days til people get disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Still think there’s an outside chance of a surprise release. Digital first then physical releases to follow 

UFO Twitter is one of my guilty pleasures. I've had moments of clarity and self-awareness where I think about it and think "Why am I following this?" & "Is this topic in general just a colossal waste of everyone's time?"  I regard my personal GNR interest in the exact same way now.

Will the new album come with a free can of Dr Pepper?.

Im more interested in the illusions anniversary than a new album.

If GNR release a new album it will most likely be there last. Dont see Axl croaking his way on an album or on stage past 65. I didnt know about the against all odds.

Either the band want to be creative and release new music, or not and  just be a dinosaur band and play the hits and play theatres every tour because stadiums and arenas they wont fill.

I'd listen to it with fairly low expectations. They'll never top AFD or UYI and I'm not expecting them to release anything like that. It would probably sound closer to CD than anything else in their catalogue, and at this point I'd prefer a CD-era box set... it would have the same vocal tracks, anyway.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd listen to it with fairly low expectations. They'll never top AFD or UYI and I'm not expecting them to release anything like that. It would probably sound closer to CD than anything else in their catalogue, and at this point I'd prefer a CD-era box set... it would have the same vocal tracks, anyway.

Well if there are old CD era songs, slash will only be playing (insert nuguns guitarist name) riffs anyway.

1 hour ago, Sydney fan said:

Well if there are old CD era songs, slash will only be playing (insert nuguns guitarist name) riffs anyway.

For the most part Slash did play other people's riffs on AFD and UYI. 10 out of 12 on AFD are Izzy riffs. Paradise City is Duff riff.

So Jungle is only Slash riff on AFD. RQ must be Slash too. Easy is Duff or Webber.

So I'm going to say Izzy wrote the riffs to 9 out of 12 AFD songs. Then Lies is all Izzy apart from one. 

UYI Is mostly Izzy apart from Garden of Eden, The Garden. DDM, Coma, Loco, Civil...

So I think CD era material will be like the Izzy Stradlin of the next album. Slash will make everything sound awesome. 

If the Fatman had any sense of humor, he'd troll fans with a Dustin bones cover or two, but he's a joyless, humorless drone since the "reunion." At least there was some sense of spontaneity in the 00 - 09 era... gonna be the same shit set. Fat. Bowlcut. Mickey vocals. Maybe an added cover song or two(Van Halen tribute?), or a deep UYI cut added. I think those are the only changes you'll possibly see.