Farrell: "We were greater than GNR"

auad

11 minutes ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

They have three hits Jane Says, Been Caught Stealing, and Stop.  Most people probably know mountain song too.  But after that I bet most causals get lost.

nothing’s shocking and ritual de lo habitual have the AFD quality of being SOLID albums, no filler, just great songs, one after another. But what takes them beyond GNR is their versatility in styles and musicianship.

Even Strays is a collection of great songs (ruined by early 2000’s polished rock production).

Jane's just didn't want to be a stadium band. Or they left it too late with Strays. But they don't have a raft of power ballads to peddle around the world. Ritual de lo Habitual is kind of the Alternative Appetite. 

It's like comparing apples and oranges.  In many, many ways Jane's WERE  better than Guns at their height.  But they were different.

It's the same lame bullshit as comparing Guns to Nirvana.   They're both awesome, but what they do is very different.

Jane's were the proto-Nirvana.  Their fans would sneer at the idea of seeing those white trash mongrels GNR.  Guns was for the masses and Jane's were for the cool kids.

It's a silly argument.  I could never see Perry in front of a stadium in South America with little short shorts on going "It tastes good, don't it?"  just like I could never see Axl and Slash play ten minutes of gypsy horseshit and have the crowd eating out of their hands.

They were both great bands and did what they did incredibly well.   And now they're both bands of old men singing songs from almost 40 years ago trying to remember how good it felt to be that young and creative.

(PS....we do have a dedicated thread for Jane's Addiction you know...and I can name way more than three songs...)

Had A Dad🤘🤘

Classic Girl ❤

Both bands have a front man whose voice you'll either love or hate.

Like RHCP, I've always liked Jane's Addiction but never bothered with all the gossip and drama etc like I have done with GNR.

I don't disagree with what Perry said in the article.

Thats how you steal shit, brazenly.

I used to hang with a legit kleptomaniac, he would steal shit wherever he went.

He moved into a house near a shopping mall, and a couple of days later his house was filled with plants from the mall 😆

We go to the liquor store? Vodka bottles down his pants.

Go to a restaurant? He'd steal cutlery and glasses (even though he already had them).

Funnily enough he would only get caught with trivial shit, like a pack of candy.

And here most places won't bother pressing charges if it's under $200.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:20 PM, Tremolo said:

But what takes them beyond GNR is their versatility in styles and musicianship.

In which alternative universe were Jane's more versatile than Guns' ? Locomotive alone is better than anything they have done. 

They lacked Guns' compositional abilities among other things.

4 hours ago, Ragnar said:

In which alternative universe where Jane's more versatile than Guns' ? Locomotive alone is better than anything they have done. 

They lacked Guns' compositional abilities among other things.

Perkins tribal drumming, Avery’s grooves, Dave’s metal, funk and blues influences, Perry’s poetry. Janes Addiction is a clear mix of styles; there’s psychedelic rock fused with punk, funk, blues, gypsy shit, heavy influence by The Velvet Underground, gothic rock, metal, hard rock.

Only in Chinese Democracy Guns (Axl) dared to venture beyond their hard rock and ballads staples, but even then the purists didn’t approve because “it didn’t sound like gnr”.

What does locomotive being “better” have to do with versatility? Or are you one of those who say Locomotive is a “progressive rock song” and as such is proof that gnr were genius composers? Yeah, it’s a cool song that rests on a guitar groove, but that’s it. Pretty much any Jane’s song has more groove than Locomotive. Three Days pisses all over Locomotive if you want to talk about a song being “better”.

I’m not going to start listing songs. They have a small discography, it should be obvious to anyone willing to listen. It’s not a matter of taste –you don’t have to like it– it’s a simple observation.

4 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Perkins tribal drumming, Avery’s grooves, Dave’s metal, funk and blues influences, Perry’s poetry. Janes Addiction is a clear mix of styles; there’s psychedelic rock fused with punk, funk, blues, gypsy shit, heavy influence by The Velvet Underground, gothic rock, metal, hard rock.

And Guns' weren't just Hard Rock either. There was Heavy Metal, Punk, Blues, Folk, Acoustic, Prog Rock, even Funk and Psychedelia. Not to mention later Industrial elements.

8 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Only in Chinese Democracy Guns (Axl) dared to venture beyond their hard rock and ballads staples, but even then the purists didn’t approve because “it didn’t sound like gnr”.

No one ever accused mullet heads of being very bright and open-minded.

9 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

What does locomotive being “better” have to do with versatility?

It has everything to do with versatility. You wouldn't think Jungle, for instance and Locomotive were by the same band if you didn't know beforehand.

12 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Or are you one of those who say Locomotive is a “progressive rock song”

No, it's not a 'progressive rock" wankfest. It's a Funk Metal juggernaut with groove.

13 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Three Days pisses all over Locomotive if you want to talk about a song being “better”

No, it doesn't.

14 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

It’s not a matter of taste –you don’t have to like it– it’s a simple observation.

I wasn't aware........ Except I said I liked Jane's too. I just found your opinion bit questionable and I explained why I thought Guns' were superior. Nothing more.

I've never enjoyed pissing matches between bands.  They're different.  It's subjective.

Now obviously, Jane's and GNR are up there with the greats...we're not saying some bullshit like Warrant or Winger were on that level.

I just have a really hard time comparing them.  I feel like "more" is going on in Jane's stuff, but that doesn't necessarily make it "better."  Just depends on your mood I guess.

But the bands have more in common than they do differences.  They were both this perfect melding of players and influences, and they just "clicked" as a unit.  None of the individual pieces have ever worked on their own or in different configurations than when you had Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven, and Perry, Dave, Eric, and Stephen.   Both bands, at the same time, in the same town, tapped into something magical and created their best stuff in a frenzy of drugs, sex, and 80s LA excess.  But the results were vastly different.

Jane's had written all three of their albums before they got signed, and GNR had all of Appetite and a lot of the Illusions composed by then.  after the success and the touring and fame, it was just never the same chemistry for either band.

Imagine being the lucky motherfuckers that were there in 1986 and got to see them both in those early days.

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

And Guns' weren't just Hard Rock either. There was Heavy Metal, Punk, Blues, Folk, Acoustic, Prog Rock, even Funk and Psychedelia. Not to mention later Industrial elements.

No one ever accused mullet heads of being very bright and open-minded.

It has everything to do with versatility. You wouldn't think Jungle, for instance and Locomotive were by the same band if you didn't know beforehand.

No, it's not a 'progressive rock" wankfest. It's a Funk Metal juggernaut with groove.

No, it doesn't.

I wasn't aware........ Except I said I liked Jane's too. I just found your opinion bit questionable and I explained why I thought Guns' were superior. Nothing more.

There is nothing prog rock in GNR’s discography, just as there is nothing “funk” about Locomotive.

There are very few songs that escape the hard rock + ballads essence of GNR. Only from My World on to the CD material that the band ventured beyond its own self imposed boundaries. I enjoy CD and the leaks better than I do AFD or UYI now because of the sonic exploration. Before that, only 3 or 4 songs dare do something a bit different, but not that much. I notice way more versatility in JA’s music.

Both bands had that magic chemistry that makes things fit together and work to produce something greater than the sum of its parts, but I feel that GNR’s output variety was thwarted by their own limitations. Slash is (was) great at what he does, but he’s a one-trick pony. Navarro in comparison is a much more versatile player in both technique and influences/style, and it really shows in JA. I’ve always seen Duff’s work in gnr as “just the bass player”, there is nothing that remarkable about his playing or songwriting abilities. Eric Avery wrote simple bass lines, but with so much fucking groove… he was 100% the backbone of the band. Perkins style is very particular and recognizable, closer to Steven than Matt, the guy swings like a mofo. Axl had the better voice, but his lyrics have always been pretty lame and they have nothing on Perry’s lyrics. Both were great frontmen.

All that shit permeates through the music. If it wasn’t for Axl being a stubborn mf, GNR would have turned into ACDC, releasing AFD every few years under a different title.

It's the difference between Zeppelin and Stones. Zeppelin are more musical but Stones have more tunes. Janes like Zepp are alien technology, it's more of an organic sound you don't know how they do it. Whereas GNR and Stones are more understandable. 

32 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Perkins is a beast of a drummer....I can't find the footage now, but there was some vintage footage of him in 1990 or so where a guy just taped him playing right behind him during the show.  It was awesome.  Shit.  Can't find it now.

Frank Richards?

On 7/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, Tremolo said:

There is nothing prog rock in GNR’s discography, just as there is nothing “funk” about Locomotive.

There are very few songs that escape the hard rock + ballads essence of GNR. Only from My World on to the CD material that the band ventured beyond its own self imposed boundaries. I enjoy CD and the leaks better than I do AFD or UYI now because of the sonic exploration. Before that, only 3 or 4 songs dare do something a bit different, but not that much. I notice way more versatility in JA’s music.

Both bands had that magic chemistry that makes things fit together and work to produce something greater than the sum of its parts, but I feel that GNR’s output variety was thwarted by their own limitations. Slash is (was) great at what he does, but he’s a one-trick pony. Navarro in comparison is a much more versatile player in both technique and influences/style, and it really shows in JA. I’ve always seen Duff’s work in gnr as “just the bass player”, there is nothing that remarkable about his playing or songwriting abilities. Eric Avery wrote simple bass lines, but with so much fucking groove… he was 100% the backbone of the band. Perkins style is very particular and recognizable, closer to Steven than Matt, the guy swings like a mofo. Axl had the better voice, but his lyrics have always been pretty lame and they have nothing on Perry’s lyrics. Both were great frontmen.

All that shit permeates through the music. If it wasn’t for Axl being a stubborn mf, GNR would have turned into ACDC, releasing AFD every few years under a different title.

The riff to Locomotive is very funky, and Bad Apples' riff/groove would've easily fit on a funk rock song of the 1970s.

I'd say Estranged could've worked on a 1970s Pink Floyd album.

4 hours ago, Wilco said:

The riff to Locomotive is very funky, and Bad Apples' riff/groove would've easily fit on a funk rock song of the 1970s.

I'd say Estranged could've worked on a 1970s Pink Floyd album.

How is it a funky riff? I feel no funk from it. It is a great riff, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t get how it could be considered funky.