Do you view GN'R as hair metal?

8 hours ago, Ragnar said:

I haven't said they hadn't emerged from hair metal scene.

What I have said is, by the time Appetite came out there was nothing glam/hair metal about them.

Okay, so you say they emerged from Hair Metal scene in Hollywood.

And then you claim they changed so much on AFD that its not Hair Metal.

What If I told you they were playing most of the same songs that ended up on AFD while emerging as a Hair Metal band in Hollywood :lol: 

Also the bands 1987 UK tour was with their Hollywood friends Faster Pussycat, whose lead singer owned the Glam nightclub The Cathouse,

where GnR would later film a video for Its So Easy.

It wasn't so cut n dry where can you draw a line at AFD.

Just look at the Welcome To The Jungle video where Axl has the teased up hair still.

I would say they started moving away from Hair Metal image around the time that Sweet Child O Mine was released.

destruction-87-guns-n-roses(1).thumb.jpg.6b12c5c1aedbd4d445ebef2744fb1a3a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 3:05 PM, Wilco said:

I'm genuinely curious.

A lot of reviewers, especially in the last few years, tend to lump them into the "Hair Metal" or "Sleaze Metal" category - in the same genre as Van Halen, Rose Tattoo, Motley Crue, and Skid Row. The latter two groups were their contemporaries and mentioned in the rock press as their peers even back in the late 80s and early 1990s - For example the whole Vince Neil vs. Axl Rose feud.

But the music wasn't exactly Cherry Pie or Nothing But a Good Time. But you had a lot of other groups out there in a similar vein tackling heavy subjects - Queensryche comes to mind, for example. Skid Row on their second album tackles the same cynical subjects.

So I guess my question is, were Guns just a more talented hair metal group? Were they in a different genre than these other bands?

as for their looks until 88? yes

as for their music? not really

• 3 months later...

This should probably settle the debate, it goes into the specifics of what hair metal actually is. I've never thought of GNR as hair metal, even if they emerged from the same scene. You can hear Skid Row evolving out of the genre in the gap between their debut and Slave to the Grind but I've never really heard more than a vague trace on GNR's albums. Hell, Live Like a Suicide was their first release and that's pretty much just straight hard rock in a 70s vein, no hair metal on that. 

THE TOP TEN BANDS MOST OFTEN MISCATEGORIZED AS HAIR METAL: #2, GUNS N' ROSES | MetalSucks

I liked GnR then & now. I despised Motley Crüe and fucking Poison, Def Leppard and all that lot then and I always have. It was just cheesy as fuck. 

GnR came out of that Stonesy/Punk/Rock/bluesy swamp. 
What was the lineage of the hair metal crowd?

Most of those bands are like kiss or something. Just a joke and not a good one. It’s like wrestling v boxing. Motley Crüe just seemed to be entertainment. Cheesy as some of the production is on the GnR records, it’s dated better than most of that stuff with the horrible 80s drum sound and background vocals on the hair metal stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ramone said:

What was the lineage of the hair metal crowd?

Most of those bands are like kiss or something. Just a joke and not a good one. It’s like wrestling v boxing. Motley Crüe just seemed to be entertainment. Cheesy as some of the production is on the GnR records, it’s dated better than most of that stuff with the horrible 80s drum sound and background vocals on the hair metal stuff. 

The influence of Aerosmith, Hanoi Rocks, AC/DC, 

and Johnny Thunders & The NY Dolls directly connects GNR to Motley Crue and the LA Scene.

GNR were different because of Slash's blues based classic rock sound, as opposed to most bands 3rd rate eddie VH schooled shredder on guitar.

With Traci Guns they were just another LA Band with a good singer

They had the glam and hair metal look but that was about it 

As far as music they were the last great hard rock band. Their sound was rooted 60s/70s arena and stadium rock. Aerosmith, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Stones, Queen and Elton John were the various band members favorites and they wore those influences on their sleeves. Plus a dash of punk and glam rock. I think that's why the 1987-1991 band's music has had such longevity. 60s and 70s were the pinnacle of rock and Guns was the last mega band that made that kind of music at an elite level. There's a reason that, despite their small catalog, their prime material is still viewed on a different level than the Motley Crue, Def Leppard,  Bon Jovi type bands 

7 hours ago, RedHook said:

Slash tried out for Poison before joining Guns N Roses.

Fact.

There were many different music scenes in Los Angeles in the late 80s,

and GNR chose the Glam/Rock Hair Metal scene that included their friends and former band mates in London, LA Guns, Jetboy, Faster Pussycat and Junkyard.

Junkyard weren't hair metal though? They were mistakenly lumped in with the scene but they never played the Strip. Dave Roach dyed his hair blonde and the first two albums had more of a hair metal production but they were normal hard rock albums through and through. None of them fit the hair metal image either, though Brian Baker went for a sort of scuffed Mick Ronson look. They had fucking fat Chris Gates of the Big Boys on guitar, you don't see Sunset Strip hotshots going around looking like that.