Do you view GN'R as hair metal?

I'm genuinely curious.

A lot of reviewers, especially in the last few years, tend to lump them into the "Hair Metal" or "Sleaze Metal" category - in the same genre as Van Halen, Rose Tattoo, Motley Crue, and Skid Row. The latter two groups were their contemporaries and mentioned in the rock press as their peers even back in the late 80s and early 1990s - For example the whole Vince Neil vs. Axl Rose feud.

But the music wasn't exactly Cherry Pie or Nothing But a Good Time. But you had a lot of other groups out there in a similar vein tackling heavy subjects - Queensryche comes to mind, for example. Skid Row on their second album tackles the same cynical subjects.

So I guess my question is, were Guns just a more talented hair metal group? Were they in a different genre than these other bands?

Have a look at axls puffed up hair in the WTTJ video and tell me they are not hair metal.

Or magazine photos with the band wearing makeup prior to them getting signed.

By the time illusions came around, they lost the hair metal tag then because of their look which didnt consist of gelled up hair.

AFD set them apart from the rest of the bands on the sunset strip

They definetly were a product of the Hollywood Sunset Strip Hair Metal scene.

But they came up right towards the end of it,

.... and then changed their image around 1987-88 to feature less makeup and glitzy clothes,

but so did Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and just about every other Hair band on earth. 

You claim they were different cause they didn't sing about Cherry Pie, and Nothin' But A Good Time, but neither did bands like Motley Crue before them. 

Think about the hair metal nightclub Cathouse that GNR was so prominently involved in.

The club was run by Tamie Downe of Faster Pussycat and Rikki Rahctman who would later host MTVs Headbangers Ball because Axl got him the job.

As the scene died and Grunge became more prominent Axl moved GNR away from any and all things hair metal & hollywood.

But that doesn't change the past.

They admittedly copied their image from Hanoi Rocks, and regularly played shows with Faster Pussycat, and LA Guns.

After they got signed they were more than happy to tour with Motley Crue. 

J52B9kSZFDprixF8NzfzGC.thumb.gif.75c1f200c9aa2f06052842ab5efba058.gif

731171833_images(2).jpeg.21e7946663155cf6c620f0f7c9292d80.jpeg

Screenshot_2021-06-14-12-05-41(1).png.9441226a44c71562bfaa0e8b78a1ece3.png

I couldnt care less how Axls hair looked like in the WTTJ video.GNR was pure hard rock with punk attitude in some songs .WTTJ was Whole lotta love of the 80s pure hard rock .YCBM,Civil war,Coma,Locomotive,RNDTH,Garden of eden,The Garden,Dont damn me ,Dust N Bones etc hair metal?????Anything goes is the only AFD song that sounds like a 80s hair metal song to me ,everything else is hard rock and a little punk

Alice N' Chains was actally a different band that Layne Staley sang for before Alice In Chains was formed.

Gotta love the GNR inflence in the way they wrote the band name.

1391359794_220px-Alice_N_Chains.jpg.a70d5b30997e93698cad534bcafef692.jpg

Pantera was also Glam/ Hair Metal earlier in their career, and that was mostly the same band.

pantera-promo-photo-1987-h1000_orig.thumb.jpg.cfcb4554311d51bfd86dcd824c666897.jpg

Celtic Frost played heavy thrash metal music with a glam/ hair metal look. 

1428243010_hqdefault(1)(1).jpg.79e000567accad9fa4d430e58744835e.jpg

Not all Glam/ Hair Metal bands played poppy Poison type music.

They came through LA in the mid 80's when the scene was filled with hair metal groups. They dressed like hair metal groups. Axl was the walking dichotomy. A homophobic man dressed in assless chaps with full makeup and teased hair. So of course, people were going to group them in with hair metal bands. 

They never sounded like a hair metal band. Appetite does not sound like a hair metal album. It is much closer to 70's rock in terms of sound and production. Outside of some of the cheesier lyrics, it is a timeless rock album. 

If they had a different producer, and maybe if the album came out a few years earlier, it could have sounded completely different and dated. 

I see AFD as the culmination or summation of hard rock and was the result of GNR living through the 80s. By bringing back the 70s rock to the 80s punk rock they kind were the bridge to 90s alternative rock.

It wasn't until AFD sold that the music industry believed heavier bands like Nirvana or AIC could sell and be on MTV. 

GNR were like the pinnacle of hair metal and the first alternative band to sell. 

14 hours ago, RedHook said:

They definetly were a product of the Hollywood Sunset Strip Hair Metal scene.

But they came up right towards the end of it, and as they changed their image in 1987-88 to feature less makeup and glitzy clothes,

so did Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and just about every other Hair band on earth. 

You claim they were different cause they didn't sing about Cherry Pie, and Nothin' But A Good Time, but neither did bands like Motley Crue before them. 

Think about the hair metal nightclub Cathouse that GNR was so prominently involved in.

The club was run by Tamie Downe of Faster Pussycat and Rikki Rahctman who would later host MTVs Headbangers Ball because Axl got him the job.

As the scene died and Grunge became more prominent Axl moved GNR away from any and all things hair metal & hollywood.

But that doesn't change the past.

They admittedly copied their image from Hanoi Rocks, and regularly played shows with Faster Pussycat, and LA Guns.

After they got signed they were more than happy to tour with Motley Crue. 

J52B9kSZFDprixF8NzfzGC.thumb.gif.75c1f200c9aa2f06052842ab5efba058.gif

731171833_images(2).jpeg.21e7946663155cf6c620f0f7c9292d80.jpeg

Screenshot_2021-06-14-12-05-41(1).png.9441226a44c71562bfaa0e8b78a1ece3.png

I was thinking of that bottom photo as i was writing my post.