incredible interview with marc canter

hopkins

They were both playing the dictator to some degree . Slash was not willing to change the songs that he wanted to do and Axl was trying to make Slash work with Paul and Slash was not at all happy with The stone's song that axl had paul do some work over what Slash had already done. There were a lot of things wrong between them at that time. It had to come to an end at that point. They needed a break from each other.

Axl brought Paul in temporarily only. Paul is one of Axl's best friends. And just like Izzy, Paul doesn't enjoy the fame and big lights.

Axl brought Paul in to play the role that Izzy did. He brought Paul in to give that Izzy-like sound to rhythm guitar because Axl did not want Slash to highjack the GnR sound by turning it into a Snakepit like sound.

Slash does not like Izzy's sound. He has stated this many times before.

What Slash wanted was to be the sole song writer in GnR like he is with his solo records and with VR. As Axl stated, "on Day 1, Slash wanted me to join his band."

Slash's ego was hurt more than anything else. Slash got even more butt hurt when Axl tried out Zakk Wylde for a time there as well. In fact, I'm sure Slash quit shortly after Zakk Wylde was brought in.

Oh my god :facepalm:

if you are a lead guitarist in the most famoust, biggest rock n' roll band in the world and your bandmate singer trying out in the band another guitar god, don't you have got a little butthurt?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d love to see a perfect scenario of a massive tour of Axl’s new band doing their full set to blow the doors off the beginning of the show. Do a really nice hour plus set. Take a break and include a combination where they do a stripped down set every night with Steven, Duff, Slash and Izzy and then finish with an Illusions set including Gilby and Matt and that material to close things out with a bang.

:yes::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So trying to call Axl a "dictator" is nothing more than your brainwashed opinion. It is not supported by facts at all!

Come on now. We have 25 years of evidece to draw from.

What's more liekly? Axl as dictator or Axl as easygoing fun guy?

And the evidence is what again?

Duff, Izzy and Slash have all stated in interviews that one of the reasons they quit was because of Axl's meglomania and need to control everything. Then of course there is the small matter of Axl fighting for control of the GnR brand name........ What other proof do you need?

The white lies are as simple as Slash once saying that he didn't like to play Sweet Child because it's not heavy enough. Joe Perry used to say that he didn't like to play Dream On for the same reason. It's monkey see monkey do. trying to act like it's not cool to play the song. Meanwhile he plays it now with his own band. Not that this has anything to do with what Axl is upset about., but it's just to give you an example of something Slash once said that he only said because he thought it would make him look cool. He did lie about going to Axl's house to try to make peace because it backfired on him when Axl or Beta went to the press with it. He lied because he didn't want to get in trouble with the VR guys over it. Thats more of an example of being backed in a corner. I think one of the biggest thing that Axl is upset over could be Slash quitting the band and leaving Axl high and dry. Axl had to start from scratch. Also those comments about Robin was when Axl first starting working with Robin and saw something in him that gave Axl a breath of fresh air. Maybe it was a few riffs that he heard and felt that they would make great songs. Like "Better"

Thanks for replying Marc! The SCOM thing is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. In Slash's book, he said he did a bunch of coke and couldn't remember how to play it (imo a white lie to not insult the fans who love the song). If you watch the video, you kind of get the impression that Slash is coked up out of his mind, and can't help but laughing at the reaction he gets from the crowd when he starts playing the SCOM intro(and ends up fucking it up), since he never really liked the song because it didn't represent what the band was about, yet it was the song that made them so big at the same time.

Basically what I'm saying is that IMO, Slash said he didn't like SCOM because it wasn't heavy enough, and wasn't trying to make himself look cool, but was just telling the truth. He later ended up realizing that that wasn't a cool thing to say, and told a white lie to cover his ass. Basically " I did a bunch of coke and fucked up the intro-white lie", rather than "I did a bunch of coke and couldn't stop laughing at all the people who like this stupid fucking song, to the point that I couldn't even play the intro - truth".

here the video for anyone who cares.

They were both playing the dictator to some degree . Slash was not willing to change the songs that he wanted to do and Axl was trying to make Slash work with Paul and Slash was not at all happy with The stone's song that axl had paul do some work over what Slash had already done. There were a lot of things wrong between them at that time. It had to come to an end at that point. They needed a break from each other.

Axl brought Paul in temporarily only. Paul is one of Axl's best friends. And just like Izzy, Paul doesn't enjoy the fame and big lights.

Axl brought Paul in to play the role that Izzy did. He brought Paul in to give that Izzy-like sound to rhythm guitar because Axl did not want Slash to highjack the GnR sound by turning it into a Snakepit like sound.

Slash does not like Izzy's sound. He has stated this many times before.

What Slash wanted was to be the sole song writer in GnR like he is with his solo records and with VR. As Axl stated, "on Day 1, Slash wanted me to join his band."

Slash's ego was hurt more than anything else. Slash got even more butt hurt when Axl tried out Zakk Wylde for a time there as well. In fact, I'm sure Slash quit shortly after Zakk Wylde was brought in.

You're making stuff up. You don't bring in someone to create "Izzy-like" rhythm pieces and then use him to replace Slash's solo on Sympathy for the Devil...

The white lies are as simple as Slash once saying that he didn't like to play Sweet Child because it's not heavy enough. Joe Perry used to say that he didn't like to play Dream On for the same reason. It's monkey see monkey do. trying to act like it's not cool to play the song. Meanwhile he plays it now with his own band. Not that this has anything to do with what Axl is upset about., but it's just to give you an example of something Slash once said that he only said because he thought it would make him look cool. He did lie about going to Axl's house to try to make peace because it backfired on him when Axl or Beta went to the press with it. He lied because he didn't want to get in trouble with the VR guys over it. Thats more of an example of being backed in a corner. I think one of the biggest thing that Axl is upset over could be Slash quitting the band and leaving Axl high and dry. Axl had to start from scratch. Also those comments about Robin was when Axl first starting working with Robin and saw something in him that gave Axl a breath of fresh air. Maybe it was a few riffs that he heard and felt that they would make great songs. Like "Better"

Thanks for replying Marc! The SCOM thing is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. In Slash's book, he said he did a bunch of coke and couldn't remember how to play it (imo a white lie to not insult the fans who love the song). If you watch the video, you kind of get the impression that Slash is coked up out of his mind, and can't help but laughing at the reaction he gets from the crowd when he starts playing the SCOM intro(and ends up fucking it up), since he never really liked the song because it didn't represent what the band was about, yet it was the song that made them so big at the same time.

Basically what I'm saying is that IMO, Slash said he didn't like SCOM because it wasn't heavy enough, and wasn't trying to make himself look cool, but was just telling the truth. He later ended up realizing that that wasn't a cool thing to say, and told a white lie to cover his ass. Basically " I did a bunch of coke and fucked up the intro-white lie", rather than "I did a bunch of coke and couldn't stop laughing at all the people who like this stupid fucking song, to the point that I couldn't even play the intro - truth".

here the video for anyone who cares.

I agree. I also think the reason it has stayed a staple with his solo band is because he knows people want to hear him play the song. He probably did dislike it for a time but has grown to like it and recognizes the impact his guitar work on the track has had over time.

Like I have been saying! More 3rd party folks supporting Axl's position.

About time that Axl steps out of his fantasy world and puts his feet back on the ground.

Axl is living in a fantasy world? Really? What is Axl's fantasy world then?

What would you consider would be "Axl putting his feet back on the ground"?

You can find all answers in his Twitter message about the Hall Of Fame.

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/18802-axl-responds-to-hof-on-twitter/

Edited by droezle

So trying to call Axl a "dictator" is nothing more than your brainwashed opinion. It is not supported by facts at all!

Duff, Izzy and Slash have all stated in interviews that one of the reasons they quit was because of Axl's meglomania and need to control everything. Then of course there is the small matter of Axl fighting for control of the GnR brand name........ What other proof do you need?

Izzy stated A LOT of reasons for why he quit.

He even didn't want Slash to join the band because he hated Slash's style and sound. So pick your favorite reason for why Izzy quit.

Trying to blame Axl for Izzy quitting is not factual at all when you take into consideration all the other reasons. And the fact that Izzy and Axl are best buddies says a lot. Axl never demanded Izzy to publicly apologize because nothing Izzy has ever said were said with serious intent.

You have no clue about the what happened with the GnR name rights. Axl did not victimize Slash and Duff. Go recheck your story on this one.

Slash and Duff were fawked out of their minds on booze and drugs. So to them, of course it would seem like Axl was trying to control everything. When in fact it was Axl who was trying to prevent everything from falling a part, especially in the face of their deaths.

Did Axl start GnR? Yes. Is GnR Axl's band? Yes. Is GnR Axl's solo project? Yes.

So Axl has every right to do what he must to protect GnR. But to claim that Axl treated Slash or Duff like slaves, is far from the truth.

He even didn't want Slash to join the band because he hated Slash's style and sound. So pick your favorite reason for why Izzy quit.

Trying to blame Axl for Izzy quitting is not factual at all when you take into consideration all the other reasons. And the fact that Izzy and Axl are best buddies says a lot. Axl never demanded Izzy to publicly apologize because nothing Izzy has ever said were said with serious intent.

You have no clue about the what happened with the GnR name rights. Axl did not victimize Slash and Duff. Go recheck your story on this one.

Slash and Duff were fawked out of their minds on booze and drugs. So to them, of course it would seem like Axl was trying to control everything. When in fact it was Axl who was trying to prevent everything from falling a part, especially in the face of their deaths.

So Axl has every right to do what he must to protect GnR. But to claim that Axl treated Slash or Duff like slaves, is far from the truth.

this! this post is the proof that mygnr's ruined this place so quickly...

Whatever Axl is doing now is not Guns N' Roses. Legally he has the right to call it Guns N' Roses, but it is NOT Guns N' Roses. Anyone who thinks otherwise is as crazy as Axl.

Edit: Basically what I'm trying to say is that the real GNR is not Axl's solo project. Appetite for Destruction was not anyone's solo project.

Edited by Gunn

Next time you see Izzy ask him what the lyrics to 14 years are about

Guest itssoeasy23

That's how I always saw it as well. Axl wanted Paul to play on the SFTD cover, Slash didn't like. But, Slash brought in songs for Axl, Axl didn't like them at first but them wanted to use them, but Slash has already made a album with the songs without Axl's consent.

They both have big ego's. While Axl was in hiding, Slash was in the public spewing lies about Axl, that Axl never sought out to dispute. The only time when we got Axl side of the story was on the forum chats and the Del James interview, many years after Axl's name was dragged through the mud.

Personally, I don't think they ever wil reunite. I think they both are doing good now and a reunion would just bring alot of bad memories back to light.

Edited by itssoeasy23

Protect G N' R? He destroyed the band once and he will destroy it again. And in some kind of way he treated Slash and Duff as slaves because everytime he showed up late for a show they had to jump so that Mister Ego can go on with the (his) show. After all these years Axl still thinks that the equator is running through his ass and sooner or later this will be the downfall of G N' R, again.

1450762-1450754_cool_story_bro_super_super.jpg

not seen this posted on here

but this is fucking incredible and nails down once and for all the whole axl v slash thing and where they're both coming from

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

and this is news to me

It’s similar to the situation with Chinese Democracy. It was finished in 2001. I mean finished. There was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks if he were willing to apologize to Axl and in the press for the things that he had made public about Axl allegedly blackmailing him. Axl was cracking the door open and saying “If you apologize publicly for the things you said about me forcing you out I have three songs and I’d like you to play on them”. They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been so cool. That was never going to happen because Slash was too “cool” to apologize publicly first of all and second of all because half the things he wanted Slash to apologize for never happened, at least not in Slash’s recollection. Axl’s burying any option to release stuff with Slash’s likeness and that extended to his participation or interest in my book.

Like I have been saying! More 3rd party folks supporting Axl's position.

This is supported by the fact that Slash released his book to try to clarify his position. And at around the time of his book release, Slash did attempt to apologize. But his apology was very vague. All Slash apologized for was for "allowing his bitterness and anger" get the best of him, but he never specially said what things he said and did that were wrong. The apology was never specifically stated towards Axl either.

And what Axl wants is for Slash to clear Axl's name.

But Sla$h will never publicly take back the negative things and lies he said about Axl publicly. Because that would hurt his $wallet$. It benefits him more that the media and fans view Axl as the badguy and him as the goodguy.

Slash should apologize for Axl. I mean Slash should have let Axl be dictator and let everyone just be employees of the band right? If Axl didn't want to become dictator then, I am not sure why is he assuming that role in his Fake GNR. Coincidence I guess. Poor Axl got left high and dry?!?! Maybe he should have shown up to the recording studio on time and actually participated on a new album instead of acting like a prima donna. But what would you expect from a dictator who wastes his time/money on witchcraft and other nonsense in Arizona.

...So pick your favorite reason...

That actually describes what you're doing exactly. A lot of what you're saying is subjective or contested by multiple accounts and you choose your favorite...in this case, that Axl's view was always the correct one.

Unless you were there to witness the events firsthand, you should at least acknowledge the ambiguity and uncertainty of the real story and try to find a balance among the various accounts of it.

Edited by Flayer

What interesting about this... if you remember from Axl's first HOF open letter... From Axl's letter "Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion." IMO that quote is looking for Slash to come out and apologize or take back some things said about Axl.

That was interesting - and why I was so surprised to not see others paying much attention to it.

If Axl was being genuine, he was basically saying 'I'm open to discussions (even a reunion) if Slash were to admit to some things and apologize'. That's pretty big and why I said that it appears as if the ball is in Slash's court. Personally, I've been intrigued by this statement of Axl's ever since he has said it.

I hope that my upcoming interview with Duff Mckagan allows more light to be shed on this publically and how he sees the situation from his perspective.

Thank you Marc for this great interview, I see you as the 6th member of Guns N Roses and at the same time, their biggest fan. Really great how you managed to stay true to all these guys over the years. You've had such a great perspective on all the things and its nice of you to come into the fan forums on occasion to give your take. Thanks

Next time you see Izzy ask him what the lyrics to 14 years are about

Since none of us will ever get the chance to talk to Izzy can you elaborate?

What interesting about this... if you remember from Axl's first HOF open letter... From Axl's letter "Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion." IMO that quote is looking for Slash to come out and apologize or take back some things said about Axl.

That was interesting - and why I was so surprised to not see others paying much attention to it.

If Axl was being genuine, he was basically saying 'I'm open to discussions (even a reunion) if Slash were to admit to some things and apologize'. That's pretty big and why I said that it appears as if the ball is in Slash's court. Personally, I've been intrigued by this statement of Axl's ever since he has said it.

I hope that my upcoming interview with Duff Mckagan allows more light to be shed on this publically and how he sees the situation from his perspective.

Good luck mate but based on his recent interviews and his book I doubt he will open up and deal you the real dirt

this! this post is the proof that mygnr's ruined this place so quickly...

Tell me about it I'm gone for one day and I come back to posts from Axl's husband!

Edited by sleeper

Good luck mate but based on his recent interviews and his book I doubt he will open up and deal you the real dirt

When I initially approached him with an email, I went in knowing full well that what I wanted answered was going to be difficult. I was upfront with him and told him that some of the questions may be difficult to answer because of his position and relationship with both parties. Despite this, he agreed to look at a series of questions. I'm doing my best to word and re-word each question to where he doesn't feel as though he is speaking on anyone's behalf or stepping on any toes. Understandably, he's already made it clear that he wouldn't do that - and I wouldn't expect him to. If anything, expect a perspective only; no dirt dishing or finger pointing. My questions aren't even trying to prompt any of that.

As far as a timeframe, I don't know. If Duff Mckagan agrees to give me an interview, I don't set timeframes as to when it must be completed by.