Official HOF Discussion Thread/Axl's Letter to HOF

SONOFABITCH

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I actually forgot to comment on this.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong, but did Axl say that he he wont accept the induction because he feel that the wrong people are being inducted? Does he feel that Slash and Duff shouldn't be inducted and that Pitman and Bumblefoot should be instead? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. Nobody yet has actually noticed that, but actually this is the MAIN reason why Axl is not attending. His employees are not being recognized as GNR and his whole effort since 1998 is devalued.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong, but did Axl say that he he wont accept the induction because he feel that the wrong people are being inducted? Does he feel that Slash and Duff shouldn't be inducted and that Pitman and Bumblefoot should be instead? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. Nobody yet has actually noticed that, but actually this is the MAIN reason why Axl is not attending. His employees are not being recognized as GNR and his whole effort since 1998 is devalued.

Maybe it's Steven, he has a problem with. Would be the most likely. But again guessing.... :shrugs:

I suspect he meant the UYI line-up, namely Matt and Gilby. I don't think he would believe DJ should be nominated for AFD instead of Slash...

Or maybe his argument could be that since Gilby was nominated for AFD having had nothing to do with it then the hacks should also get to be nominated.

I dunno but i don't think he meant Duff or Slash shouldn't be there. He's crazy but not that much, I don't think so...

Edited by alterreality

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has removed Guns N' Roses from the April 14 ceremony's itinerary, including their induction by Green Day.

But is then continued by "Despite their removal, a Rock Hall spokesman tells E! news "We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his induction in person. We are looking forward to still inducting Guns N' Roses this weekend and will proceed forward with our original plan whether Axl is present or not"

Link

HOF website also has no evidence of them:

The full list of currently announced performers, presenters and inductees with the newest announcements noted is below:

• Beastie Boys will be inducted by Chuck D (new addition: LL Cool J to present)

• Donovan will be inducted by John Mellencamp (new addition: both to perform)

• Small Faces/The Faces will be inducted by Stevie Van Zandt (new addition: The Small Faces/Faces to perform)

• Red Hot Chili Peppers will be inducted by Chris Rock (new addition: Red Hot Chili Peppers to perform)

• Laura Nyro will be inducted by Bette Midler

• Freddie King will be inducted by Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill (new addition: Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill to perform)

• Don Kirshner will be inducted by Carole King (new addition: Darlene Love to perform)

• Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns will be inducted by Robbie Robertson

• The Blue Caps, the Comets, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters and the Miracles will be inducted by Smokey Robinson

Maybe this is a mislead, but i dunno.

Yep, turns out it is very misleading. They're on it.

The full list of currently announced performers, presenters and inductees with the newest announcements noted is below:

• Beastie Boys will be inducted by Chuck D (new addition: LL Cool J to present)

• Guns N’ Roses will be inducted by Green Day

• Donovan will be inducted by John Mellencamp (new addition: both to perform)

• Small Faces/The Faces will be inducted by Stevie Van Zandt (new addition: The Small Faces/Faces to perform)

• Red Hot Chili Peppers will be inducted by Chris Rock (new addition: Red Hot Chili Peppers to perform)

• Laura Nyro will be inducted by Bette Midler

• Freddie King will be inducted by Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill (new addition: Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill to perform)

• Don Kirshner will be inducted by Carole King (new addition: Darlene Love to perform)

• Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns will be inducted by Robbie Robertson

• The Blue Caps, the Comets, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters and the Miracles will be inducted by Smokey Robinson

The ever hilarious Dailymail is covering it now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2128782/Axl-Rose-snubs-Rock-Roll-Hall-Fame-20-year-feud-Guns-N-Roses-bandmates.html

The comments are always good for a laugh. Check it out!

Examples:

Oh, Axl, wouldja just grow up? It's ROCK 'n' ROLL, not the Nobel Peace Prize!

- AJ, Portland, USA, 12/4/2012 15:45

Guns N' Roses is now Velvet Revolver. Axl Rose is a selfish, lonely man who puts his own sense of self-importance over Gn'R fans.

- PD, UK, 12/4/2012 17:27

I actually think he's too scared or embarrased to be seen with the old members again. He's burnt his bridges with them years ago and probably doesn't want to have to face them all again after that. Just my opinion.

- Not Surprised, London, 12/4/2012 16:07

I still don't see why there is such a negative backlash to Axl saying he won't be at the RRHOF. He has said countless times he won't reunite, so why would this time be any different?

Quit dreaming and move on. Axl (and most likely Izzy) won't be at the ceremony. It's just a way for the RRHOF corporate people to make more money. Why else do you think GN'R were inducted the year they were first eligible? To generate money to the RRHOF for a possible reunion.

Wrong, I actually mentioned that on page 6. :max:

So I'm I reading it right, that one of the reasons he won't attend is that the new guys do not get inducted? :facepalm:

I was irate two days ago when I broke the news about Axl. Yes, I am an insider probably moreso than BBA. Now, I am at peace and hope Slash, Duff and Steven can have a great time tomorrow night. They are Guns N' Roses and always will be. Axl took the coward's way out. I hope Steven goes off on him during his speach.

All this "he owes the fans who put him in this place" is bullshit. You paid for the albums and you got them. End of.

Yeah, and the multitude of other artists that make statements similar to this are ALL idiots! Musicians should never be expected to show any appreciation to their fan base. :wank:

Lol, that's pathetic. Did you not consider that he's probably pissed off that Adler is being included, or Sorum, something like that? Considering he's labelled him as an "additional musician".

When Axl alluded to not agreeing with the committee's decision on who was being allowed in "our" induction, I'm almost positive he was referencing Sorum and Sorum alone. This HOF induction is mostly due to the AFD album. Axl knows this. Keep in mind, the Illusions were mostly written by the time that Sorum joined. He just played Steven's part. Plus, this is only guy that Axl ever technically fired himself. I don't think he sees Matt's part in the GNR legacy as being an overly important one. I don't mind Matt being inducted, but I don't think Axl is necessarily wrong with his remark either.

Edited by BBA

Lol, that's pathetic. Did you not consider that he's probably pissed off that Adler is being included, or Sorum, something like that? Considering he's labelled him as an "additional musician".

When Axl alluded to not agreeing with the committee's decision on who was being allowed in "our" induction, I'm almost positive he was referencing Sorum and Sorum alone. This HOF induction is mostly due to the AFD album. Axl knows this. Keep in mind, the Illusions were mostly written by the time that Sorum joined. He just played Steven's part. Plus, this is only guy that Axl ever technically fired himself. I don't think he sees Matt's part in the GNR legacy as being an overly important one. I don't mind Matt being inducted, but I don't think Axl is necessarily wrong with his remark either.

And how about Gilby? DOn't you think he meant Gilby too?

Gilby isn't being inducted.

Like Dazey said, Gilby isn't part of the induction as far as I know.

Here is another Steven interview. I don't know if it's been posted: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172564

Steven: Axl doesn't believe in any of us. I have a feeling if he would've shown up [at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame], it would only be to perform with his band of scabs. . . Those guys are great players, they're great performers, but they're not GUNS N' ROSES. They're just not. I just wanted the same thing all of the fans want, which is to show up and play together.

Here is another Steven interview. I don't know if it's been posted: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172564

Steven: Axl doesn't believe in any of us. I have a feeling if he would've shown up [at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame], it would only be to perform with his band of scabs. . . Those guys are great players, they're great performers, but they're not GUNS N' ROSES. They're just not. I just wanted the same thing all of the fans want, which is to show up and play together.

Even if it wasn't already posted, it's not something that hasn't already been said many times prior.

Maybe Steven and Duff, if they're as interested as they say, should talk to Slash and see if he would be willing to issue his own public press release saying that he wishes things were different between he and Axl. Maybe shed some light on the things that Axl is so pissed at him about and maybe offer an apology - even if for no other reason than to try and put past differences behind them and for the sake of the GNR fanbase. :shrugs:

"Slash doesn't owe Axl a damn thing" and "Axl should be the one apologizing" only keeps this feud going and us stuck with what we have today.

The omission of GNR from the inductee list that members were discussing has been explained:

It turns out that not having a reunion concert is causing more drama for Guns N’ Roses and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame than if the old timers had actually gotten back together this weekend.

On Thursday, it even looked like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was having second thoughts about inducting any of the Gunners at their Saturday night ceremony in Cleveland.

A list of inductees and performers sent to journalists conspicuously left out Guns N’ Roses -- the year's biggest inducted band and the biggest story of the week following lead singer Axl Rose's Hall of Fame snub -- off of the list of inductees and performers.

We emailed the Hall of Fame, and they ensured us that it was simply an oversight.

But what an oversight.

A rep for former Guns N’ Roses lead guitarist Slash told us he would most definitely be attending this weekend’s ceremony.

Steven Adler, the band’s original drummer, told FoxNews.com that he would also be attending, and that Rose's decision to blow off the long anticipated reunion with the original lineup was a huge insult to Guns N’ Roses fans.

“I think it’s disrespectful and we’ll leave it at that," he said. "I’m going to be there, Slash is going to be there, Duff is going to be there, because we appreciate our fans and the respect that we get all around the world. And it’s not just a letdown to us, it’s a letdown to the whole world, to all our fans. But that’s his choice."

The drama over the induction began this week when Rose, the iconic metal band’s lead singer, wrote a lengthy letter rejecting the Hall of Fame’s proffered induction and asking that they not induct him into their ranks in absentia.

In his rambling screed, which was addressed to the Hall of Fame, his fans and anyone else who cared, Rose declared that when he first heard news of the induction “I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. ” He then said that he began to believe that reuniting with the original members of Guns N Roses, Duff McKagan, Slash, Dizzy Reed and Steven Adler would bring about “somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation.”

Rose and Slash haven't been onstage together since 1993. That's 20 years.

"He hates my guts," Slash told Rolling Stone in an interview. "It's over a lot of different stuff; I don't even know. There's just no communication between us."

Fans lashed out at Rose on the Guns N’ Roses official website, which is maintained by Rose, and posted Axl’s letter in full.

“Any of you who post that you support AXL are fools. you arent true fans of guns n roses or its music. you are sycophantic morons who support this jackass when he is pulling yet another bitch maneuver,” one commenter wrote.

Another chimed in: “I would have respected Axl more if he just didn't show up. That would have been typical Axl. Writing a long pompous letter is so not rock n' roll. Guns N' Roses now is not what it ever was after 93."

Reuniting the original members of the band for a long-anticipated concert was expected to be a big audience draw for the Hall of Fame ceremony which will be broadcast for the first time on HBO on May 5th and has never had much success drawing in a large audience.

“While the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies have created some of the most iconic musical jams ever, it has not been an overwhelming success in getting viewers, like MTV's Video Music Award Shows or this years Grammys,” explained media analyst Brad Adgate of Horizon Media. “Axl Rose not appearing will not help but I think the fact that ratings are generally low to begin with, it will be a minimal loss in ratings.”

But some music experts still believe anything could happen on Saturday.

“Axl Rose doesn’t do publicity stunts but Axl’s Rpose’s behavior is a publicity stunt on a regular basis. Who takes the stage at midnight and then plays for two and a half hours or three hours? Axl. He just functions on a different plane,” said Billboard correspondent Phil Gallo told Fox411. “We have a three week gap between the induction and the broadcast so if Axl does show up that will give them three weeks to promote that people see it on HBO.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/13/guns-n-roses-ommission-from-rock-hall-inductees-letter-oversight-rep-says/#ixzz1rxEECScX

Edited by BBA

Whether or not Izzy attends will be the deciding factor if I will subscribe to HBO to view the event in the month of May.

As far as I am aware, the 4 of them have never performed together at the same time since the AFD days. If Izzy isn't there, I'm not overly interested in watching the 3 perform AFD tunes with another vocalist.

Edited by BBA

Whether or not Izzy attends will be the deciding factor if I will subscribe to HBO to view the event in the month of May.

As far as I am aware, the 4 of them have never performed together at the same time since the AFD days. If Izzy isn't there, I'm not overly interested in watching the 3 perform AFD tunes with another vocalist.

Exactly. I saw VR and watched them cover 'Easy, Browstone, & Patience already. Not overly interested in seeing them do it with the likes of Greenday or whoever else.

My anticipation literally has gone down to zero for this event. <_<

Edited by sofine11

Apparently Myles Kennedy cancelled a radio interview tonight w/ Eddie Trunk because....He had to leave to head to Cleveland!

Hopefully Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven/Matt get up and perform a few tunes with Myles....no point in letting Axl's bitch antics ruin the night. Plus it'll just make Axl look worse because Myles isn't a fat ass who can barely sing without oxygen hits every song.

Gilby isn't being inducted.

Really? I guess I've heard somewhere before that he was. My mistake then, sorry.