As many of you know, Slash's departure was announced in a fax sent to MTV on October 31st, 1996 by Axl. At the time, the public hadn't seen Axl in over two years, and as far as anyone knew, Slash was still in GN'R even though the last year or so had been very rocky with them. Slash stated as late as October 16th 1996 that he was in GN'R; That he had been back in the band "for two weeks" and that the band was working on "mostly Axl's material." In his book, he mentions he announced his departure some days before Axl did.

Here is perhaps the most infamous article of text in GN'R history:

"LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#1. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses tour.

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#3. There will NOT be any NEW Guns N' Roses videos.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#5. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses Fan Club.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with

three original "B" sides.

NOTE: If all goes well this will be immediately repeated.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses

endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses

since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk

Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall

of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the

Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

Nothing here is Subject To Change

Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION

Of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic"

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.

Mike "Duff" McKagan"

For those who were on the net back in 1996, how did you react to the fax? For me reading it now in 2011, it comes off like the rantings of an angry loon. For example, what the fuck does "NOTE: If all goes well, this will be repeated" mean? The whole text seems like something Axl sent off in a fucking raging anger without much thought; It is not a carefully worded statement, as most such letters are. It is angry, sarcastic and rather vindictive in it's writing.

It's also interesting that he says Slash was not involved with the band since April, 1994. I would think Sympathy for the Devil was recorded later in 1994 than that....Really his timeline presented in the Fax opens up a lot of questions

I remember hearing about it on the radio Halloween night in 1996. I believe it was on that 6pm Rock News special hosted by Kristy Knight on 97.7 HTZ FM. Then I read the fax later on that Axl Rose website hosted by that T. Axl Grey guy (anyone remember him?? Taxl??).

If I remember correctly, most people didn't think the band was over. The real question was "how will it sound now?" It wasn't till after Duff left and years of inactivity when all the "band isn't GN'R and should just end" talk started.

Edited by hellobeatle

I remember hearing about it on the radio Halloween night in 1996. I believe it was on that 6pm Rock News special hosted by Kristy Knight on 97.7 HTZ FM. Then I read the fax later on that Axl Rose website hosted by that T. Axl Grey guy (anyone remember him?? Taxl??).

Hahaha, yep. I still think I have that cassette set he was selling with live versions of every GNR song.

I knew him from Jeff's old mailing list. Was anyone else here on that thing? And I just remember that list blew the fuck up after that day. I logged on to my e-mail account at the library at college and I had like 300 new messages in a day, pretty unheard of at the time.

Hahaha, yep. I still think I have that cassette set he was selling with live versions of every GNR song.

I knew him from Jeff's old mailing list. Was anyone else here on that thing? And I just remember that list blew the fuck up after that day. I logged on to my e-mail account at the library at college and I had like 300 new messages in a day, pretty unheard of at the time.

Hahaha.. Yea I still have that collection too.. Tape G, Tape N and Tape R... Was a great collection to have back in the day when you couldn't just download every concert.. I traded him all my GN'R midis for it, I believe he hosted them for awhile too - or maybe that was what I traded Jeff for CNE 91, I forget..

I hadn't seen this before... so thank you for posting. I liked GNR by then, but couldn't call myself a fan really. I only started to take Guns N'Roses as a priority in music in 2002, so i didn't go through the whole process of waiting for Chinese Democracy and the band's break up even though i went through some of the process.

The whole fax thing though it's nonsense...i'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny or gross... :facepalm:

I hadn't seen this before... so thank you for posting. I liked GNR by then, but couldn't call myself a fan really. I only started to take Guns N'Roses as a priority in music in 2002, so i didn't go through the whole process of waiting for Chinese Democracy and the band's break up even though i went through some of the process.

The whole fax thing though it's nonsense...i'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny or gross... :facepalm:

Probably not either. Axl had probably just learned of Slash's departure and was in a rage. Think of his rants at concerts only times that by a sense of personal betrayal, abandonment, etc. Add in his impulsivity--not really thinking before he talks--and you have the text of the Fax. In a way, I feel bad for Axl. It could easily be argued he drove Slash and Duff away, but at the same time, he has written it felt like they were kicking him while he was down by leaving when he did--and I truly believe he felt that way. Regardless of whether he caused it or not, he must've felt like his entire world was crumbling down in 1996/1997:

He had lost both of his "women", Erin and Stephanie, in 1991 and 1993. His relationship with Jenny Driver went from 1994 and stopped by 1999.

He had lost Izzy in 1991 as well, and we all know Izzy did mean a lot to him musically and personally.

He saw the band tumbling into an abyss with drugs as early as 1989 and was probably worried often whether they'd die or not, and saw Steven plunge into the abyss (even if he didn't like Steven much)

Went from being a nobody from Indiana in 1987, to being one of the biggest rockstars on Earth in 1988, to seeing he and those like him assailed by Grunge by 1992. A lot of shakeups in a short time.

Shannon Hoon, a personal friend and fellow musician, dying suddenly in October 1995.

His mother dying of cancer in May 1996.

Wildfires nipped close very to his home in the summer of 1996.

Slash left suddenly in October 1996.

West Arkeen, a pretty close personal friend, musical partner and buddy of the band, suddenly died in May 1997.

Duff left Axl in August 1997.

On all fronts, it must've been horrible. He had lost three people who meant the world to him personally, he had lost his mother probably before they ever had a chance to reconcile, close friends died, he and GN'R were considered musical dinosaurs by 1996, and to top it off, Slash left, and finally Duff. Even if he caused these departures, it still is sad.

Moby, who worked with Axl from around February to October 1997, described Axl as seeming like a "beaten dog"--Very cautious, shy and nervous. Not the confidant rockstar the world knew in 1991-1993 or like the evil egomaniac tales paint him as.

Probably not either. Axl had probably just learned of Slash's departure and was in a rage. Think of his rants at concerts only times that by a sense of personal betrayal, abandonment, etc. Add in his impulsivity--not really thinking before he talks--and you have the text of the Fax. In a way, I feel bad for Axl. It could easily be argued he drove Slash and Duff away, but at the same time, he has written it felt like they were kicking him while he was down by leaving when he did--and I truly believe he felt that way. Regardless of whether he caused it or not, he must've felt like his entire world was crumbling down in 1996/1997:

He had lost both of his "women", Erin and Stephanie, in 1991 and 1993. His relationship with Jenny Driver went from 1994 and stopped by 1999.

He had lost Izzy in 1991 as well, and we all know Izzy did mean a lot to him musically and personally.

He saw the band tumbling into an abyss with drugs as early as 1989 and was probably worried often whether they'd die or not, and saw Steven plunge into the abyss (even if he didn't like Steven much)

Went from being a nobody from Indiana in 1987, to being one of the biggest rockstars on Earth in 1988, to seeing he and those like him assailed by Grunge by 1992. A lot of shakeups in a short time.

Shannon Hoon, a personal friend and fellow musician, dying suddenly in October 1995.

His mother dying of cancer in May 1996.

Wildfires nipped close very to his home in the summer of 1996.

Slash left suddenly in October 1996.

West Arkeen, a pretty close personal friend, musical partner and buddy of the band, suddenly died in May 1997.

Duff left Axl in August 1997.

On all fronts, it must've been horrible. He had lost three people who meant the world to him personally, he had lost his mother probably before they ever had a chance to reconcile, close friends died, he and GN'R were considered musical dinosaurs by 1996, and to top it off, Slash left, and finally Duff. Even if he caused these departures, it still is sad.

Moby, who worked with Axl from around February to October 1997, described Axl as seeming like a "beaten dog"--Very cautious, shy and nervous. Not the confidant rockstar the world knew in 1991-1993 or like the evil egomaniac tales paint him as.

That was a great post, i'll admit that :yes: