When/why did Axl's voice change?

Clark Gable

11 hours ago, Dr. Thunder said:

I don't know that he can. His rasp now is just yelling and he has very little control over it. He can usually get one good line off and then loses it completely sometimes mid word. I'm sure he'd be fine in a studio setting where he could do one line at a time and do 10 layers and protool it all anyway, but live I think he's about as good as he's going to be. 

Axl DC says otherwise.

12 hours ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

Axl DC says otherwise.

Axl DC is why I said what I said because his voice and control was not the same after touring with AC/DC. Not that he didn't sound like shit most of the time for a number of years and it was clear he could turn it on if he really wanted to, but his attempts after especially the second leg of the AC/DC tour have been increasingly struggle city and out of control and power.

He can still pull out the rasp. In the studio for certain, Rock the Rock is proof enough. He pulled it off for the ACDC tour purely out of trying to prove to the haters he could pull it off. He can't sing back to backs or 20+ song sets with rasp. In order to be able to keep up with touring demands he sings in his head falsetto shit Mickey voice. Doesn't require him to strain, and potentially have to cancel tour dates, of which wouldn't go well do to his history. And it's all about money now anyhow. He obviously doesn't care what he sounds like.

I'm in the camp that Axl keeps his power reserved in GNR concerts maybe? He must have gone full pelt in the studio when he originally put the songs out, must be hard to repeat it 30 years later. I've grown to accept the Mickey style vocals since 2002, is that saves his voice then fair enough.

13 hours ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

Axl DC says otherwise.

:facepalm:

People really need to stop using the AC/DC shows as evidence that he can still sound good. This was 5 years ago. His voice has seriously deteriorated since then. At no point over the last 2-3 years has Axl been able to sing like that.

I agree with him sounding like 1993 Axl in 2010. Saw them that year and it was the best Guns show I’ve seen in person after Milton Keynes in ‘93. But, let’s not forget, the dude can turn it in and off at will. His GnR shows in 2016 were Mickey fests yet Axl/DC that year was phenomenal. Guns Axl is now just Axl phoning it in. Of course, the older he gets, his ability to turn his ‘badass’ voice off and on will become less of an option 

44 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

People really need to stop using the AC/DC shows as evidence that he can still sound good. This was 5 years ago. His voice has seriously deteriorated since then. At no point over the last 2-3 years has Axl been able to sing like that.

Even towards the end of the AC/DC tour his voice started cracking a lot more.

9 minutes ago, Haters Gonna Hate said:

Even towards the end of the AC/DC tour his voice started cracking a lot more.

Exactly... Hell's Bells is a good example of that. He sounded good at the Philadelphia show, but he'd clearly already done some damage and was straining himself more than he was on the European leg.

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree with him sounding like 1993 Axl in 2010. Saw them that year and it was the best Guns show I’ve seen in person after Milton Keynes in ‘93. But, let’s not forget, the dude can turn it in and off at will. His GnR shows in 2016 were Mickey fests yet Axl/DC that year was phenomenal. Guns Axl is now just Axl phoning it in. Of course, the older he gets, his ability to turn his ‘badass’ voice off and on will become less of an option 

Don't forget he mickey-ed songs like TNT, Touch Too Much, Dirty Deeds, etc. but yea overall his AC/DC shows were stronger than the GNR shows. However, I still think he sounded good (not great, but good) for the GNR 2016 shows. In general, he sounded as good as the best 2011-14 shows, which is all I could've realistically hoped for.

I used to be one of the people who said he can turn it on and off at will, but I don't think that's been true for a while now...

23 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That is what people said before the AC DC tour when they would show how good Axl sounded as Rock AM. Then with AC DC he turned it on again.

If Axl toured with AC DC again, he would sound just as good as he did 2-3 years ago. And people like you said axl lost his voice before the rock AM show and he proved you wrong.

Axl still has his voice, he has it when he tries.  I always laugh at people like you how are proven time and time again.

When will people learn,Axl can sing well when he wants to he just half asses GNR.

Just now, dave-gnfnr2k said:

That is what people said before the AC DC tour when they would show how good Axl sounded as Rock AM. Then with AC DC he turned it on again.

If Axl toured with AC DC again, he would sound just as good as he did 2-3 years ago. And people like you said axl lost his voice before the rock AM show and he proved you wrong.

Axl still has his voice, he has it when he tries.  I always laugh at people like you how are proven time and time again.

When will people learn,Axl can sing well when he wants to he just half asses GNR.

It's not the same, man. Back in 2012-14 you could rightfully argue that he still "had it" and was just on auto-pilot for most of the shows. I was at those last couple 2014 Vegas shows and he sounded pretty good for the most part, when he turned it on. The difference post-AC/DC is that his voice cracks to pieces when he goes for the higher screams. That never happened with any regularity before the AC/DC shows. And his weak clean voice has only gotten weaker over the last decade. When he "tries" now, it sounds very forced and unnatural, nothing like classic Axl.

If he toured with AC/DC again, there's no way he'd sound as good as he did in 2016. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it's true. Hell, just look at the 2017 performances they did with Angus, Axl already sounded much worse than 2016. The fact is, he doesn't "still have his voice." :shrugs:

On 3/1/2021 at 5:00 PM, Frank Drebin said:

I'm in the camp that Axl keeps his power reserved in GNR concerts maybe? He must have gone full pelt in the studio when he originally put the songs out, must be hard to repeat it 30 years later. I've grown to accept the Mickey style vocals since 2002, is that saves his voice then fair enough.

2002 Mickey voice was still strong and controlled. Axl in most of 2017-all of 2018-2020's falsetto is weak and wavering, his rasp is just screaming and completely out of control and often will drop out mid line like his voice just cuts out and then it takes him the rest of the verse to catch up. Dude's voice is shot. Which is fine. Basically all of his contemporaries also have shot voices. I do think he actually does try because you can see him physically really trying to push through and his voice just not responding. And when it does, it just sounds like he's gargling glass and causing pain instead of any kind of technique. It is what it is. Dude is 60. The infuriating thing isn't his weight or not being able to belt out the songs at shows like it's 1992, but that he's got all this music from when he was at probably his most creative and ambitious and he could do anything he possibly wanted with his voice and it's just sitting around somewhere.

"his rasp is now screaming."  Oh fuck off. 

He's in his goddamn 50s.  That rasp sounded sharp as hell in Axl/DC, you people are faux elitists. 

Yeah, it takes a real critical thinker to say "young rasp better than old rasp i am wise chieftan."  jesus christ. 

The way I look at it, there's a reason Mickey sounds bad.  Singing falsetto is technically singing out of tune. When different parts of the throat, chest, diaphragm, head etc. resonate to a note there are actually different elements combined together sound mostly in tune to the ear to the point you don't notice.

When Axl sang with rasp in the late 80s, the texture in his voice was a simultaneous lower set of base notes so you could still hear for the super head-voice that was also in tune. Falsetto I think vibrates from a very small area and automatically has "over tones" that are close to the desired note but still off. It sounds weak and makes it a chore to listen for the musical pattern. Further ranting...

Spoiler

It is true that some people really can't sing, or at least not naturally without good training. Sting for example has a physiology causes him to have that soft voice. I think Gotye emulated Stings voice with software that detuned the recording a quarter tone and played both notes together.

Maybe I said this before but I don't care who sings falsetto, Prince, The Bee Gees. It sounds awful. Every time. It probably doesn't bother others but I don't have the ear for it. Michael Jackson was the only one that could really sing high notes.

37 minutes ago, ritz snare said:

"his rasp is now screaming."  Oh fuck off. 

He's in his goddamn 50s.  That rasp sounded sharp as hell in Axl/DC, you people are faux elitists. 

Yeah, it takes a real critical thinker to say "young rasp better than old rasp i am wise chieftan."  jesus christ. 

Hey fuck head I didn't say shit about young rasp vs old rasp or which is better. I said his voice is shot and to produce what most of you fucks consider "rasp" is him screaming and he has little to no control over it and usually completely loses it mid lyric. You can hear this on literally every show of 2017-2020 and occasionally in 2016 and you can hear it get progressively worse each leg of the tour. He has little to no power in his falsetto, and he has little to no control over his "rasp" which is just short bursts of screaming that he can't sustain with any regularity and almost always switches to falsetto mid line. 

His voice has clearly deteriorated after AC/DC and was starting to break apart in the later shows with AC/DC as well. I don't even know why this is a debate. All of their shows are documented and you can hear his voice getting weaker and technique getting looser and more out of control every show. You fuck.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:54 PM, Dr. Thunder said:

Hey fuck head I didn't say shit about young rasp vs old rasp or which is better. I said his voice is shot and to produce what most of you fucks consider "rasp" is him screaming and he has little to no control over it and usually completely loses it mid lyric. You can hear this on literally every show of 2017-2020 and occasionally in 2016 and you can hear it get progressively worse each leg of the tour. He has little to no power in his falsetto, and he has little to no control over his "rasp" which is just short bursts of screaming that he can't sustain with any regularity and almost always switches to falsetto mid line. 

His voice has clearly deteriorated after AC/DC and was starting to break apart in the later shows with AC/DC as well. I don't even know why this is a debate. All of their shows are documented and you can hear his voice getting weaker and technique getting looser and more out of control every show. You fuck.

Nah, go back and listen to Rio 2011 genius.  His GnR voice is the same as its been for years.  You just have some narrative you know is bullshit and that's why you're flipping out. 

I'm not flipping out. I also pointed out Axl often sounded very bad in the years before AC/DC and the reunion but the difference was he could turn it on when he wanted to, which is something he is able to do less and less control, time, and power with each show from 2017 on.